Unexplained symptoms- Terrys nails?B12 deficiency or something else?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi, I'm 26 y.o male with no liver diease/kidney disease/ diabetes or other known conditions. In the last year I started to suffer from unexplained serious symtpoms. The first one was hair loss. Hundreds of hairs are falling each day from all over the head including eyelashes and eyebrows(diagnosed by my derm as Telogen Effluvium). Then, came muscle pains, stomach pains, GI weird sounds,unexplained weight loss, memory problems, concentration problems, weird white smooth coating on the tongue, white ridged nails with red tips that looks like Terry's nails(always been smooth and uniformly pink) ,fatigue,vision problems(it comes and goes. blurred vision), tingling in hands and feet,anxeity, tinnitus and really bad insomnia. Blood test are all good(thyroid hormones are optimal, no antibodies for TPO or Thyroglubulin, vitamin D, zinc,iron, ferritin,no liver issues or diabetes ). My B12 was 300(I was vegetarian for 10 years) and I have atrophic gastritis diagnosed by gastroscopy. I got 35 cyanocobalamin injections over two months by my dr and some of my symptoms improved but some still persists even after months of treatment. Before the shots I took B12 methylcobalamin sublingual but it didn't help at all. My B12 is now above 2000. My dr stopped the injections but I still have symptoms. My nails are still ridged and white. I still have hair loss, tingling in feet that comes and goes and memory problems. I'm adding a pic of my nails. Its not so clear but they are ridged and most of them white without lanula and there is a thin red strip at the top. My doctor doesn't know what is the cause for all of my symptoms. I have lately severe muscle pains and excruciating stab pain in my right leg. It feels like its coming from my nerves. P.S my father has some of my symptoms, he eats meat everyday and he has b12 of 210. I would really appreciate if someone have similar nails or symptoms and can shed a light on my situation. Thank you very much!.image

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Are the reds painful?

I have the same nails, both toes and fingernails, sometimes painful in unpredictable times, especially ring fingers, even both has a bit bluish tint. I've checked total protein, sgot, sgpt, albumin, all comes out normal. Internist advised me to go to dermatologist instead.

• Posted

i know this thread is old but i found it in my research of similar symptoms, and hoping any information i post will help someone. Im 36 yoF with a very colorful medical history, so its been very hard to tease out one thing from another. however my issue started about twenty years ago, seemingly worse the last four years. i have the nails symptoms, gi issues, lethargy, moodiness, chills and worstly a rash. ive also been a vegetarian since 2005. ive seen hematologist, endocrinologist, allergist, naturopaths.. ive gone down the lyme route, candida, autoimmune issue, hormone imbalance, etc etc and everything is fine. the allergist helped with unknown allergies that were creating inflammation-- found help with Zn,Mg, Fe, protein supplements and avoiding allergens.

so my allergist sent me down a rabbithole with a nickel allergy, and at the time i didnt feel as if i was eating enough, so i downloaded an app called chronometer (free food tracker) it gives you daily vitamin mineral levels as well as weekly trends and after a week report i saw a huge pattern of low omega. it allows you to make notes on that day (or attach a picture if you pay). i have history of low iron, low vit d, low b12, so ive added these as well as an omega supp-- ive been on antibiotics for years at a time so i dont doubt that i lack proper absorption.

my suggestion is to start tracking for a while and then look at the daily report and weekly trend making notes (worse or better symptoms). ive seen naturopaths that had me track food but the reports are what makes it valuable. ive been doing it for three months paying attention to protein levels, and notating any theories or issues i had that day. yes its time consuming but im closer than any doctor has gotten to resolving symptoms. everyone says youre fine, thats normal (even the nails), and in an attempt to get off antibiotics my search and reach for solutions has grown. for my nails and skin i take weekly pictures (so i can show doctors) but this also allowed me to go back to the app when things were good" and read about what i was doing at that time and the week before.

i hope something i said is an avenue that you can explore and find relief. i know how frustrating this is, its like chasing a ghost and its exhausting. would love to know any new info you have. sorry for any typos, my phone is being uncooperative.

• Posted

This sounds like either dysautonomia, mast-cell activation disease or both. These usually aren't dangerous conditions but they can be uncomfortable. I have both and my symptom profile is quite similar to yours, including the nails. B12 issues look similar to these conditions, and they can also be co-morbid. They're more common in people who are hypermobile.

• Posted

have you considered seeing a naturopath, functional physician or any practitioner that is not affiliated with the western medicine model/pharmaceuticals?

• Posted

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I just wondered if you had any answers?

I am going through the same, the dizziness is unreal, feeling like I am going to pass out. my nails are getting progressively worse, blurred vision, fatigue, malaise. I am almost housebound basically but docs can't find anything wrong. My diet is awful due to gastritis. I have been taking supplements for B12 so results are very high so they won't offer me injections. I have had three injections privately over two months but feel worse than ever.

I am wondering if B12, ferritin was 54 or liver problems as I do drink and have fatty liver, I know I need to stop but its so hard with what I am going through just trying to survive.

I hope you have some answers.

• Posted

hi i also want to follow this. i have the same nails and have had extreme fatigue, but my biggest symptom is muscle twitching. my blood tests were totally normal. trying to get to the bottom of this.

• Posted

I have the exact same thing! Eye twitching as well! No idea what the cause is, are you any closer?

• Posted

Still no answers and my nails are getting paler and number, I wonder if anyone has had any answers.

• Posted

also having these issues. (F) 25. my last blood work results were fine and CT scan was normal but having all these symptoms. i'm seeing almost everyone here is struggling with GI issues too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.