Unexplained upper abdo pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i had bowel surgery 36 years ago (when i was born) the last 9 weeks ive had upper abdomen pain in middle where bottoms of rib cage meet, above bowel surgery and pulling like stabbing pains (which were chronic and make me cry) but when not chronic its always dull even throughout the night (never stops) i lost 2 stone because of this so now only weigh 7st 10. I have had endoscopy (found small hiatel hernia) colonoscopy which couldnt be completed due to pain although they class it as clear, ct scan which found unobstructing kidney stones and slightly swollen cervix, xrays and abdoman ultrasound which they say were ok. Waiting for results of Small bowel study MRI. Ive been in hospital 16 times the last 9 weeks because of the pain. The last doc said Gastritis (but wouldnt do another test) so put me on sucrafate, they also put me on peptac liquid, changed my omeprazole to lanzoprazole, sickness tablets, paracetamol, citalopram 16mg (there easy way out of it), movicol for constipation, ensure shakes because of weight loss and buscopan. Yet the dull ache is still there and last night the sharp twinges came back (seems to be with movement). Its affecting me so bad please can anyone help. The docs say sometimes people just have to live in pain if they cant find out why

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Also they always blame my bowel surgery but i feel its higher than that. The stabbing pains get me in the middle and under both ribs and can last weeks (i feel like it becomes swollen) but they cant feel it cos my weight loss. Ive also recently noticed some undigested food in stools (broccoli and carrots)
  • Posted

Hi no i only get constipation (im on maintenance dose of movicol for it.
    • Posted

You can get dull and sharp pain with gastritis along with food triggers. It can cause pain under your ribs.  Try eating bland foods and avoid anything fatty, spicy or rich.  Gsstritis can take time to heal and can leave your stomach sensitive.  It is possible surgery irritated your bowel. 

• Posted

Ok thank you. I cant pick the sucraflate up until tuesday as its a special order. Would gastritis cause chronic pain though and a constant dull ache? X
    • Posted

If your gastritis is chronic, you would get chronic pain and a constant dull ache.  Interestingly enough, with acute gastritis one of the causes is major surgery.
  • Posted

Two things to add to your post, Kerry...

Nobody you mention seems to have talked about adhesions to you? They are inevitable esp after abdominal surgery and usually don't cause problems. If they do, these can be minor, or create real trouble, and they are almost impossible to treat. Your symptoms could well be caused by adhesions, and they usually don't show up on imaging studies unless they cause a blockage. Google for more info if you need to.

When doctors cannot find a cause for an abdominal pain complaint like yours, they will put it down to "Functional Abdom Pain Syndrome": it seems that quite often a complaint is recognised as real but unable to be diagnosed and not life-threatening, and so it has a name and all a doctor can do is encourage you to manage it as best you can. Abdominal problems are very common and sometimes impossible to diagnose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.