Unexplained vision issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been through complete hell for the past 6 months! This first started 12 years ago. I was in high school, 15 or 16 years old. Woke up with these weird blind spots throughout my vision. Thought it was an optical migraine because I got those a lot then. But it wouldn't go away. After two days my mother brought me to the e.r. and I got told it was anxiety and sent home. This lasted about 6 weeks and went away. Fast-forward 3 years it happened again. I was home from school on break sitting on our front porch. Looking across the street at our neighbors house I noticed I only saw half the house. Everything I looked at had chunks gone. Not black spots, but it was just non existent. Again, thought it was a migraine and went to lay down, fell asleep for a few hours woke up and it was horrible. I was terrified of these vision problems coming back. This lasted a few months and slowly resolved. I was fine for 2 years. Life was great! I got done with school, got into a great relationship and had a healthy baby girl August of 2010. About March of 2011 I started having vision problems again. This time was different. Things got really blurry, I was seeing double off and on and I had a lot of really spotty vision Constantly but I had some days better than others. I saw an ophthalmologist who said my eyes are great. Sent to a neurologist and had a complete work up. MRI /lumbar puncture/EEG/vep. Nothing was found. Between appointments, about 4 months after this started, thing slowly got better and again, I was fine. But April 2013 it started again. I noticed a pattern, every time this happened it got a lot worse. This time I got it all. Blurry vision , spotty vision , double vision, weak and dimmed vision, eye pain, and whenever I woke up, my eyes would roll around uncontrollably for several minutes. I noticed a huge blind spot that never went away. Usually they would come and go all day. I saw the eye doctor again and I had a retinal hemorrhage. It healed but the blind spot remains to this day. I had a complete workup again with my eye doctor and saw a new neurologist. They repeated all of the same tests and everything was normal. I couldn't work anymore. I was terrified again that I'm loosing my vision. But after this completely overwhelming 6 month, thing started getting better. I was fine until July 2017. I was driving home from work, it was 12am. I noticed I couldn't see parts of the road. I made it home and had a full blown panic attack which caused me to pass out. I woke up at 7am the next morning in panic and got a ride to the hospital. This time I got it all again. Blurry vision , spotty vision , double vision, weak and dimmed vision, eye pain, and whenever I woke up, my eyes would roll around uncontrollably for several minutes. I got sent to see an eye doctor and everything was fine with my eyes. Immediately got sent to a neurologist. He repeated all the testing I've had done and everything was normal again. I noticed a big blind spot in my right eye again, and it didn't go away. Went back to the eye doctor and he found another retinal hemorrhage. He said its due to high blood pressure but the visual issues he still can't explain. So I have two huge blind spots in my right eye for life I guess. I saw my gp and he started blood pressure meds but insisted besides the hemorrhages that my blood pressure isn't causing my vision issues. I also have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and low iron anemia with no blood loss. My diet is and always has been iron rich. But the neurologist eye doctor and gp says none of this should be causing these vision problems. I'm still going through it and it's not going away. I keep hoping it will. Again I'm out of work and my life is a mess. Constantly anxious and depressed and just scared. Any ideas on what keeps happening to me I would be forever grateful.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have MS, which started with blindness and pain in my left eye (optic neuritis). I assume your neurologist has considered this possibility, however, I know a lot of people who took many years to get diagnosed properly. Its hard to diagnose. Just make sure that your neuro has looked fully into this possibility. Blessings, prayers and best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Thank you Jojo, my neurologist says do to a clear MRI it's not MS. I do know however 8% of MS patients never have a positive MRI. I've never had optic neuritis but I know just with MS alone even without lesions patients have extremely similar vision problems. Back in 2009 a neurologist actually told me he was considering MS just based off symptoms even after a clear MRI. I'd hate to have MS but to be honest at this point itd be a relief just to have a diagnosis.

• Posted

Hopefully at this point you have been able to find the problem, but if not I would ask if you are diabetic? Also did your eye doctor do a retina scan? Another thing that I would consider is Transient Ischemic Attack or Ischemic Optic Neuropathy ( more common if you have high blood pressure).
  • Posted

I have no answers,but have many issues with my vision. I understand the anxiety these issues caus,and since its your vision,its not something that is easy to deal with as everywhere you look,there it is. The purpose of this post is just to let you know I understand how troubling eye issues can be and to say I hope you find an answer and your vision is restored to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.