Unexplained weight loss

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this and would really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

About 9 weeks ago I got indigestion and heartburn in the bottom of my breastbone (the start of the stomach from the oesophagus) and took some Gaviscon.

This didn’t do anything so after a week I went to the GP who said it could be viral infection as I also had a little cough at the same time.

He give me Omeprazole but said he didn’t think it was reflux but it wouldn’t hurt to take them just in case.

2 weeks later it was still the same so I went back to the GP, who requested a chest x-ray (which came back clear). He also took full blood tests to check Liver, Thyroid, FBC, H-pylori and all came back clear and normal.

I have also just had a endoscopy (camera down) and also a camera up. They found that I have a small hiatus hernia and mild gastritis.

I was prescribed lansoprazole 30mg daliy.

These seem to be working but I have now lost nearly a stone in weight over the past 8 weeks.

I paid to have ultra sounds done last week on my gallbladder, liver, kidneys, prostate, spleen and pancreas. All showed normal.

If all I have is a small hernia and mild gastritis then why am I losing weight despite only changing my diet very slight?

Could this be anxiety and worry as I do feel like they are missing somthing some where or could this now be now more in my head. I have considered could it be diabetes?

I am a natural worrier at the best if times but the weight loss has me generally concerned. I now also haha strange tingling inch around anus area!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

*haha was typo error sorry and should gave said "have".
  • Posted

Hi legoman,

Reading through all that you've been through recently and then seeing you are a natural worrier as it is, is it not possible that during the 9 weeks this has taken to sort out that it could have caused you a lot of worry and caused you either to eat less..or for your metabolism to work at a faster rate than normal thus causing you to burn more caloeries etc?!

I expect even having the mild gastritis will be causing you to eat less - do you think so? I know nothing about a small hernia , but having mild gastritis in a lesser form but it could make sense that coupled with worry that could be the reason.

I used to worry myself sick about smoking and all the harm it may have been doing to me and the fact that I couldn't give it up. In time I did manage to quit and now that I don't have that worry, my life is far, far better and I no longer need to worry.

What I've just written above has a lesson in there for you - try hard not to worry! Worrying does us no good whatsoever and can in turn make us lose weight as well as making us into nervous wrecks. All the time this happens our insides don't work properly. Try to ask yourself "If I worry about this will it make it any better?" If the answer is no then try to get on with loving life. Turn your attention to a new hobby..anything so long as you enjoy what you're doing. Don't allow yourself to be the me that I used to be, it does no good at all!

Let yourself settle down nerves wise and I'm sure you will benefit all round.

Very many best wishes, Sue

• Posted

Thanks Sue

I have actually lost 7kg since Sept last year and whilst I have cut out pastry and chocolate surely these two items alone wouldn't cause that much weight loss?

• Posted

Both contain high amounts of fat and calories, so if you've cut them out AND you were worrying it's hardly any wonder that you've lost that amount of weight. I definitely still go along with the weight loss being due to the pastry, chocolate and worry. You seem happy with what the Drs have found now so I would now be happy with the results, cut out the worry and move on with life! smile

Very best wishes, Sue.

• Posted

This is the problem. How do you know that pastries and chocolate were not the source of your indigestion and heartburn? You simply can't tell! You say that it's about nine weeks since the problem started and also that you track your weight loss over the last seven months. That is about 1 kg per month or about 30g a day which is a slow weight loss. It would help you a lot if you were more systematic and kept records as I suggested in my last post. I hope that you see how important this sort of information would be for your doctor to diagnose. You would worry less about the possibility of something sinister happening to your health if you had real, hard information.
  • Posted

I can understand that you are concerned about your unexplained weight loss. If you were on a weight-loss diet then you would be advised to aim at a loss of  roughly 2 pounds a week. Chances are you wouldn't be worrying about that outcome.  I suggest that, starting this week, you begin collecting information about your general health and particularly the food you eat and the types of drinks you consume. I do this because if I need to see my doctor about a health concern I can never remember when "that" started or when "that" stopped. I weigh myself every morning in my undies, first thing, after emptying my bladder and before drinking or eating my breakfast. Always make sure that the bathroom scales are on a very firm surface, not on carpet. Don't worry about variations in your weight, say 2-3 pounds, from day to day because that is natural. Look for the underlying trend. I record this data on a simple table which gives me an overview.  Don't change your diet. Weigh all your food and what you are eating. If you consume alcoholic drinks then record them as well. Do this for four weeks and then review the data. You can then talk to your doctor with real information at your finger tips especially if  you continue to lose weight or experience worrying symptoms. PS. Also record the number of times a day you have to urinate and the appearance of your faeces. Sorry about that but we are both grown-up.
  • Posted

Hi. I have a similar problem. I have been suffering from gastritis symptoms ( nausea, bloating, ...) since December last year, nearly 6 months now. I lost 15 kilos. I had all possible tests - gastroscopy, colonoscopy, MRE, CT upper body, all different blood tests. All results fine, appart of 'mild' gastritis ( no H-pilory bacteria).I have been on PPI for months now even though I don't think they are helping me much. I feel like I am running in the monthly circle. It always starts with bad rumbling noise comming from my bowels and follows with strong nausea, bloating and heavy stomach Few days later. Than I slowly start recovering before it repeats again. I don't smoke or drink alcohol, I eat very healthy. My doctor even prescribed ENSURE drinks to help with weight loss but they don't help much. I am desperate to find some answers after months of suffering.
  • Posted

Hi I been suffering from gastritis since 2005 and been on all kind of medications , lately I start having many complication including low vitamin b12 , but wgat is really worrying me is that I starft loosing weight quickly 1 kg a day , which is vdry worrying , any advice please
    • Posted

Something here. I am consistently losing weight. I have lost 6-7 kg since this started which is huge given that I am a light weight person. Have you had any luck in gaining some weight?
  • Posted

Is this discussion still alive? Any of you other worriers have any updates to share?
  • Posted

could it be a side effect of the medicine

if it is not the medicine keep checking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.