Unexplained Weight Loss- Inability to Gain Weight

Posted , 8 users are following.

Over the course of 6 months, I lost an inordinate amount of weight. Approximately 20lbs (or 17% body weight). I am 32yrs old, 5'2" and have remained at a consistent weight of 115-120 my entire adult life.

I now weight 97lbs.

I have been tested for a myriad of things.. Mammogram, chest xray both came back clean.

Blood work has ruled out thyroid issues.

Cortisol levels are in normal range (ruling out Addison's disease)

My doctor is not finding anything and beginning to act as if this may just "be normal", but I am certain it is not. Although the weight loss has plateaued, I am unable to gain weight now. I upped calorie intake, fats, proteins; lift small weights for muscle growth, and nothing has worked.

I reach days where I will cross the 100lb mark, but within a day or two, I am right back to 97-98lbs. The weight never stays on.

I don't really have any overt symptoms. Fatigue and sweating (A LOT - but only sometimes/some days) is really it.

I'm at a loss and feel there must be something underlying going on here. Any guidance would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you had any digestive testing done? Your situation sounds like mine.

• Edited

Its normal for weight to do that, to change rate in short time. When we eat hard foods, and the food is in the stomach we have just put on weight and it would show on the scales. Weight fluctuates daily as we live and breathe.

• Edited

I would understand fluctuations but she said 20% in 6 months. If ur not scratching at ur head then hopefully ur doctor is.

• Posted

Ur story sounds similar to mine but I was 189 lbs back in July and am nearing 165 ish lbs. Docs say it's stress, I beg to differ. I also did the Addison's test as my twin brother was diagnosed with it a few months ago. I was diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome in November 2020 and that's all new to me. The only thing I can think of is u running a stool test or test for h-pylori? I had some ongoing nausea here and there and my wife had it a few years ago. Lo and behold I did in fact have h-pylori and finished my meds a few weeks ago.

• Posted

hello , i know this is an old post but i hope you see it .what were your symptoms with h pylori and did you get better after finishing the treatment !

• Posted

I too in recent weeks have lost (& still losing) weight. I am 5ft. 3" tall.

I am 80 years old. Approximately 6 weeks ago I weighed 7st. 8 lbs. Today I weight 7 st. 1b.

I tend not to look at myself in the mirror when naked because I look anorexic.

Recently have had endoscopy for gastric pain which didn't show up anything only gastritis. They took a biopsy and I am now waiting for a CT scan.

In view of my age, I am thinking the worst - anybody would.

I hope you get some answers soon. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.