Unfounded fears about colonoscopy prep

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started my prep for a colonoscopy 3 days ago, and so far it has been a million times easier than I could have hoped for, having read various horror stories in discussion forums. The bland diet is actually quite enjoyable, and the Picolax tastes fine. I drank it through a straw and that certainly worked for me. The effects of the Picolax started about 3 hours after taking it, and only lasted an hour and a half or so. The biggest challenge for me has been drinking so much water over the last 3 days but I persevered and I'm sure that has helped. Two tips that helped me - have plenty of moist toilet wipes to hand and apply Sudocrem liberally!! so far, so good

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I heard that it's only 2 glasses of Picolax to be taken plus copious amounts of water as well. Could you tell me the exact measurement of Picolax please. Glad that you are not finding it difficult to take. 

I found the Moviprep very difficult to stomach - think I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to anything that I have to swallow!! 

• Posted

I have had 2 sachets of picolax, 12 hours apart, and each sachet was dissolved in a pint of water. In addition I must have drunk 2 litres of water in the last 24 hours!!!
    • Posted

Good to read a positive, reassuring post. Mine was all ok as well and I agree       With you about the toilet wipes etc. The actual colonoscopy was not a problem either and the report all good. So to all those who are dreading any of it, they can be 'just another day.' 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Jan and hope all

went well for you.

• Posted

Many thanks Alice. Now back home and given the all clear. There were a couple of uncomfortable moments during the procedure, but a few puffs of gas and air it was over in seconds. Looking forward to not having to drink gallons of water!!! Hope you are okay. 
    • Posted

Thanks John. Now back  home after the procedure and all was well. Whilst having a colonoscopy would never get onto my bucket list, if I had to have one again it wouldn't worry me in the slightest. 
    • Posted

All good. Mine was a yearly check following surgery. It was the first one I had as the problem was found with a CT scan. Once they realised what was wrong, I was in theatre in under three hours. Glad you are ok. 
    • Posted

Thanks John. I know everyone is different, but I'm by no means the most stoical type of person when it comes to having medical interventions, so I hope anyone facing a colonoscopy will be reassured by our experiences. 

• Posted

Yes. I do wonder reading some of these 'colonoscopy' posts what all the fuss is about having had my third colonoscopy 6 months ago which so far has not been an issue.. Some have described the procedure as 'torture', while others have mentioned the prep as the most disgusting thing they've ever had to drink.

Neither of these sort of complaints are anything like accurate and only serve to frighten those who are due to undergo their first colonoscopy. I'm rather glad I never consulted the internet before I had my first one

• Posted

I'm due my first colonoscopy on the 9th November and I'm terrified. About the prep and the procedure is suffer very bad aniexty anyway. During the prep are you on the toilet constantly all day or is it just in blocks I have horror images of going the toilet hundreds of times and I'm a single mum of 3 young children who will be with me through the prep. X
    • Posted

Hi Lauren. Really there is no need to chew yourself up. I had to take 4 Senakot tablets at 2.00pm, followed by one sachet of Picolax at 6.00pm the day before the procedure. I probably had a total of 4 separate trips to the loo, each lasting a max of 10 minutes or so between 7.30 pm and 2.00am. I had another sachet of Picolax at 5.00am on the day of the procedure, and left for the hospital at 7.30am. I deliberately took the final sachet 2 hours before I was advised simply because I didn't want to be desperate for the loo during a 45 min journey to the hospital. In the event I had to go to the loo just a couple of times between taking the Picolax and leaving for the hospital. The prep isn't pleasant but in my case it certainly wasn't horrendous. As my GP said, some people pay good money to have a colonic irrigation and the NHS paid for mine!!!

Good luck, and please don't worry. 

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.