Unhappy with nursing care

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy converted from laparoscopy, and bilateral ovary removal three weeks ago. My surgery was over three hours long as the laparoscopy showed my bladder was stuck to my uterus, and it was damaged . I was nine hours in recovery for some reason. When I woke up in the ward, I was in terrible pain. Not just from the wound, but from a migraine and trapped wind which completely paralysed me from my nose , up round my head to the back of my ribs. I was sick and frightened. That was at 6am. I waited till after 11 am for some pain relief.... and got paracetamol. Later, I got voltarol and a peppermint tablet. At 9 pm, the night medicines came round. My pain was 10/10. I got more. Paracetamol. Next morning, I was discharged.....with a catheter in place for a week, and a months supply of Clexane syringes for me to inject myself with every night. Not once, did anyone show me the slightest sympathy. When I said I was in terrible pain, sister said what did I expect. I left hospital, barely able to walk, feeling shocked and confused. I am recovering well at home, but think the nursing care I got was abysmal. Has anyone else had an experience like this? The surgeon and theatre staff were wonderful by the way.

p

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I had a total Hysterectomy but I had the most wonderful care in hospital. I was in surgery a lot longer than we thought as I had a 10inch cyst which had wrapped itself around my ovary. I was given Paracetomol and Clexane Syringes to inject every evening. I did not need the catheter after 24hours so I was lucky there but my care was awful once I left hospital. The doctors surgery really did not help at all not even when my incision became infected. I do think trapped wind is a side affect you get as I and lots of others that I've spoke to was given peppermint drink or tablets. I do hope you are feeling much better now after your operation. Take Care Debs.
  • Posted

Hi Mary

I was shocked and surprised to hear of your treatment. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy and woke up waiting for the pain which only really got the better of me with the first bowel movement. They kept me in for 3 nights and offered me a 4th night which I gladly accepted as I was going back home to look after myself. The nursing staff were wonderful and encouraged me to get up and do as much as possible as soon as possible and I was put on the rapid recovery drinks pre op. They would not let anyone go home until they had passed their first Bowel movement and quickly took me off the morphine when it made me feel a bit sick, offering alternatives. I also think that wind is to be expected but this was all clearly explained to me pre op and wasn't as bad as I had been expecting. My catheter was removed on day 2 I think and injections finished in hospital. I think District Nurse should be able to help with injections but you might need to push for it?

• Posted

I am fine with the injections now, and got catheter out after 7 days. I didn't get an infection thankfully, and am recovering quite well really,. I can't stop thinking about the day on the ward though. I found it very traumatic, being in such pain and unable to move, and being treated with such indifference. There were a lot of other things too, which I won't go into, but I had no confidence in the sister. It seemed as if I was a nuisance to her. I just gave up, and cried silently to myself in misery. When she said next morning that she thought I should go home, I couldn't believe it. I had only had one day recovery, and had not been out of bed yet. I look back on the whole thing, and all I can think about it how scared I was.....and I am a 56 year old woman!
  • Posted

It must of been so scary for you. I was 55 years old when I had my operation. I had my op on the Thursday afternoon and went home on Sunday morning. When I got home I kept crying but think that was my hormones. Hopefully as time goes by , the bad experience you had to fade. I found there was no one to talk to about hysterectomys that's why I found writing to people on this site really helps. Debs.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I have been reading on this forum and on the American one hysteresisters, but didn't have the nerve to write. I am so glad I did. I feel better now I have told my story. I was prepared for the surgery, and for pain. I had a c section years ago, so knew about an abdominal incision and how sore it is. I just wasn't prepared for the lack of care. It makes me very sorry for older people who are in hospital, and who are so vulnerable.
  • Posted

Glad writing has helped you. Any thing you want to write or ask questions about, I am here. Debs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.