Unilateral hearing loss and dizziness questions

Posted , 1 user is following.

My story is long, but I'll try to make it short to get to the point. I had exploratory surgery on my left middle ear at Mayo recently and they discovered cholesteatoma. The cyst and two of my middle ear bones were removed. I will have a prosthetic put in later to restore hearing.

I first started noticing hearing loss in the ear in late August. About a month or so later I noticed strange symptoms in my right ear as well - an occasional feeling of pressure/fullness, clicking when I swallow or belch, occasional pain but not often. I've shared all of this with my doctor, but the right ear doesn't have the history the left ear does (hole when I was young that apparently never completely closed, lots of scar tissue, things that made it ripe for cholesteatoma). It looks healthy (MRI and two CT scans didn't find anything wrong in either ear and missed it in the left).

So, for those who've experienced hearing loss in one ear, has it caused any symptoms with the other ear? Placed stress on it, etc.? I seem to have eustachian issue symptoms but doctors don't seem too concerned about that.

Also, I've had dizzy spells (light headedness, not vertigo) going back two years. Has anyone else with cholesteatoma experienced this? Doctors seem to think the issues are unrelated, but I've had less dizziness since the surgery, so I'm hopeful that helped it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.