Unilateral tinnitus in left ear for 3 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys!! I am new to the site and looking for thoughts and guidance. I am cemale, 49 years old. Early 2016, I noticed gradual hearing loss in my left ear, along with an increased number of headaches hes, but didn't really give it too much thought. Then early October 2017, the headaches intensified, the ringing in my left ear started, and it was debilitating. I thought maybe it was sinuses, so I tried the sinus medication that typically works for me...no luck. After 2 weeks of trying, I finally called my GP. She said I had a sinus infection and my left eardrum was retracted. She gave me a couple shots and 2 weeks of antibiotics. No change. When I finally saw an ENT just 2 weeks ago, other symptoms popped up, i.e. ear and face hurts to even touch at times, feels like a hot poker in my ear canal, sense of taste is dulled, and sometimes, I feel my face and throat are going numb. Hearing test indicated conductive hearing loss, like the bones were displaced by my retracted ear drum. However, ENT still thinks it's nerve damage. So, I had my MRI last Friday and I am just on pins and needles waiting for a call. In the meantime, heat is the only thing that offers relief. So, I put a small handwarmer in a headband and try to get through my day as best I can. Is this ever going to get better??

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do u have any other symptoms? Head ridges or knots etc? Crackling in ears. Closed up ear feeling? Buzzing feel of the head? Anything???
    • Posted

Hey, Terrie. Thank u for asking. Yes. No knots on my head or anything, but just a lot of pain. My headache, predominantly on the left, is constant and my scalp will tingle. My ear will feel like there is something in it, but not all the time. However, the pain in my ear is constant; sometimes it's a dull ache, then shooting pain. The tinnitus rages after the shooting pain.

• Posted

Traci, I pray you get news that can easily fix this..so sorry you are in such pain. If it is nerve damage, maybe Tha can kill tht nerve..hoping you soon get the news that it's can be fixed..take care..

• Posted

Thank you, Terrie. The MRI came out clear, thank goodness! But then the ENT'S office acted surprised when my primary made another appt to discuss next steps and that I am still in pain. Needless to say, I will be moving on. I have another appt with him tomorrow, but I am mainly going to pick up my own disc of the MRI images. I have another appt with another ENT in the city on Thursday. I hope to find resolution soon. The pain is NOT going away, but in some ways, only getting worse.sad

• Posted

So sorry you are having to seek and find so hard. I went to my gp cuz if the now vertigo that seems to keep coming and going. She saw a small growth in my left ear, the ear that feels full all the time and where the vertigo is stemming from..so now iv got to head back to my ENT. I have no clue why he didn't pick up on that. Iv seen him like 3 or 4 x in past 9 months already..I think he was concentrating more on my acid reflux than my tinnitis, ear fullness, and slight hearing loss. This has to be all connected. It's all a part of my neck and head. I'm beginning to blev it is ETD And will deal with it accordingly..let's pray we all get this crap straightened out..I'm so ready to feel normal again...

• Posted

Oh my, Terrie!! Please keep me posted! I am going to another ENT Monday and feel more hopeful that I will get an answer soon. I have an entire morning of testing and then we sit down with him at 1p that afternoon.

My thoughts are with you. And yes, I, too, just want to feel normal again and get back to living.

• Posted

Went to ent. He said I do have etd..eustation tube disfunction. He wants ro put a tube in my ear to relieve the pressure. .he was very surprised I didn't have pain. Usually there is pain involved. He is also doing an ENG ..praying that turns out ok. Part of that is for an eye disease..sad but I refuse to hear that..wink he said if that doesn't show anything then mri..this is all for my head buzzing, tinnitis, and dizziness..alot of other strange sensations Goin on in head..but anyway..several tests and will c what happens..yes, keep me updated with yr outcome as well..take care..

• Posted

Traci, also, what dr saw in my ear was a misplaced ent of bone due to the ear drum retracting due to the etd..so he's got me on flonase spray and doin nose excercises 20 to 30 x a day..trying to keep that ear rube open and closing to prevent pressure building up again ..doin all I can ro prevent needing the tube

• Posted

Hey, Terrie!! Well, you got some STUFF going on over there! Bless your heart! I hope your ENT is helping you find some relief soon!!!

As for me, update: I went to my neurotologist Monday and did a whole host of tests before meeting with him that afternoon. Long story short, the testing is resulting in Meniere's Disease. UGH!! Not what I wanted to hear! I already have 41% hearing loss in my left ear; have had 1 vertigo episode couple weeks ago; and left with the ear fullness, tinnitus, constant dizziness and headaches. I have an appt with neurologist next Friday for the headaches (possible migraines) plus my left arm goes numb. Sigh! These doctors are in the city over an hour away and I'm scared to drive myself, driving 15 miles to work is hard enough! Prayer's to all of us that we find relief and understanding from those in our lives.

• Posted

Oh wow, you too traci need prayers..that is really wht I am leaning toward tht I may have is menieres..would rather lean tward tht than some othr things it could be..is there anything you can do for menieres..I go thru spells of dizzines..but my head feels strange b4 the dizzy hits..Iv been doin the nose excercises for the ETD and seeming to help..

Take care and hang in there..this too shall pass..wink

• Posted

Hi Traci I just had an MRI on my brain for T well let me kinda relive you a lil bit. I'm in arizona. So I had an MRI as well and hearing test. All the same but I was nervoues as heck cuz I to suffered from headaches and Dr google has so many thing of what it could be and I focused on just one thing. Which I'm sure u know what that is. So I was awaiting my result I even got fed up and went down got mine my self from the imaging place I was asking a bunch of question. Etc let's just say that what I got is if the tech see anything in the scan that is anywhere in the fact might be dangerous they will not can not by law and liability let you leave there u would either go to the hospital or have someone come and get you. Cuz if they seen something let you leave and get behind the wheel and u kill someone or your self by haveing a seisuire etc well it falls on them.. so ya just to ease your mind a bit have a good day did you do the contrast as well I did

• Posted

Hey, Samuel... my MRI was both with and without contrast. I have my neurologist appt tomorrow and then my procedure for the tube/wick placement in my left ear for the Meniere's next Tuesday. I had another attack yesterday morning and am so hoping for some relief soon. Prayers to all!!

• Posted

Traci, my ent wants ro put tube in my left ear as well. I am going to hold it off as long as I can. I just had an ENG test yesterday but won't kow results until thurs. AHHH why such a wait? But I uses iv waited this long what's anothr week..not sure if I passed the nysagmus test or not..when electives along eyes, closing thm in dark for test. I could feel them moving around like rems..think they cked for menieres as well..so much..hope all turns out well for u..wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.