Unintentional weight loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

at first I thought I had an overactive thyroid as I was losing weight, hair thinning, a bit hyper and shaky

all blood tests negative

since May 5th I have lost 6lb and now weigh 8st 5lb

i don't feel unwell and the shaking isn't as bad

my doctor just keeps saying to have another blood test in 6 weeks as she says the invasive tests I would have at the hospital would be worse than the symptoms and as I don't feel ill and no pain or discomfort anywhere she is reluctant to refer

Today, after seeing I have lost another pound in weight, I could cry

Has anyone been through this ?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi babs I have roughly the same problem hair been thinning lost over stone and half within a month had some blood tests they came back ok waiting to see what the next step is
  • Posted

Yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. However, I have hyperthyroidism but I didn't always have it and I still was losing weight uncontrollably. It sounds like you're expeiencing the exact same symptoms that I experienced prior to be diagnosed properly with hyperthyroidism.  I took several blood tests for years and all were negative to thyroidism decease. One day while getting dressed for work I almost passed out and I was have heart palpatations. I actually thought I was having a heart attack. I didn't go to the emergency that day but the next day I went to a quick care clinic and had immediate blood work done. I was called the following day by the head clinic doctor and was told to come in immediately or go straight to the emergency room.  I was told that my levels were very high and that I was a walking heart attack. At that point I only weighed about 100lbs and my normal weight is 125-29lbs. I also had thinning hair the exact same symptoms you're experiencing. You should get blood work taken again very soon because hyperthyroidism can easily be missed. Good luck to you. 

• Posted

Hyperthyroidism is like to affect in similar way and patient loose weight qickly (varies from person to person). You should get proper opinion and treatment so as to get rid of it as early as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.