Universal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi we are changing over to universal can you tell me if we have an assessment for this or will just move over from esa please

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly, may I ask why you're moving across to UC? Is it because of a change of circumstances like you're moving area and the area you've moved to is a full UC area? or were you found fit for work on ESA and had to claim UC? 

Were/are you in a group for ESA? 

• Posted

I'm on esa not fit for work my area is now moving over to universal and wondered if I would move straight over or would need an assessment

• Posted

As you're already claiming ESA and there's no change of circumstances to prompt a move across then i'm not sure why you have to change, or think you have to move across. That's not the case.

Those that are already claiming a legacy benefit such as ESA income related will not be asked to move to UC until at least 2019, and quite possibly even later than that even if their area is a full UC area now. 

One the time comes for us all to move across then DWP will send a letter to everyone asking them to apply for UC, when this happens DWP should honour your current award and place you into the relevant group under UC. You will eventually need another assessment, exactly like you do with ESA. 

When the move happens it will be called managed migration and there will be a payment protection in place so you aren't any worse off under UC rules. But for now at least you don't need to do anything, unless of course a change of circumstances mean you have to move. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you it was just as I was told our area was moving over in October and was not sure if I would be assessed or not
    • Posted

Ah, I see. No you'll stay on ESA as stated above.                                                                                 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.