Universal credit

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have an  81 year old friend  who is worrying about the change over to UC

she claims her state pension,  private pension of around 100 pounds a month ,AA, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax.

She has around 12 thousand pounds in savings.

so i have been trying to find some help for her to try and ease her mind, 

I know that the max is around sixteen thousand pounds but I have also come across another bottom figure of £6000 which I don't understand.

I know that her attendance allowance isn't means tested. I would appreciate help or advice.

thanks.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Unless she has a change of circumstances then the change over to UC or those already on 1 of the 6 benefits won't be for at least another few years, possibly more.

You say she has £12,000 in savings? I'm assuming housing benefit know about this? as that much would affect the amount she's entitled to. The minimum amount of savings for your friend is £10,000.

• Posted

Hi

Your friend can stop worrying as Universal Credit does not apply to pensioners, she will not be moved over to this benefit and will remain as she is now.

I hope this will put her mind at rest.

I retired from DWP less than a year ago so I am positive about this, UC only replaces working age benefits.

All the best

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I had actually forgot about that, thanks. Still learning about this awful UC.

• Posted

No problem Denise my last role there was UC Acount Developer so it's something I'm familiar with.

I agree it's horrible and was the final straw that pushed me to retire.

I hated not being any position to offer help when people were suffering so badly 😔

• Posted

so she doesn't have to tell them about her savings of 12000 or is it 10 thousand. pounds.

• Posted

Anything she's claimed since having savings over the amount will be an overpayment. Better for her to ring now and report is, rather that get found out some time in the future.

• Posted

I agree, as a pensioners none of the changes will effect her but I am surprised she's able to claim HB having private pensions and x amount in bank would I'm sure make her over the allowed limits, if she hasn't declared it she could find herself liable for prosecution, age will not make them soft either.

So if she hasn't declared best to do it voluntarily and offer to pay back over time

• Posted

They charge for money over 6000 mine worked out we're I got 0

• Posted

Your friend should always have been declaring her savings as she is on Pension Credit which if it is Pension Credit Guarantee is means tested.

She should let DWP know asap and will need to provide bank or building society statements. Savings for this purpose include money in all accounts, including current accounts and premium bonds, shares etc.

The local authority will also need to be told as was mentioned she will be in trouble if she doesn't tell then

Good luck

Wendy

• Posted

No idea what you mean by "they charge for money over £6,000

• Posted

I think she means anything over £6000 she will have benefits deducted, or is that my take

• Posted

Thanks for your reply,

someone from dwp did a home visit, she has chronic arthritis and she got awarded Attendance allowance, which isn't means tested i think, but then they said that because she receives attendance allowance and pension credit she doesn't have to pay her rent or council tax.

I have no idea whether they asked her if she had any savings, but I do know that its pension guarantee.

I always thought that you could have up to 16000 pounds in the bank before you had to declare it. I have no idea why I thought that.

I will ring her tomorrow.

• Posted

AA isn't means tested but pension credit and housing benefit are. The lower limit is £6,000 . For pensioners it's £10,000 anything OVER this amount and it affects your means tested benefits.. Reach the max amount of £16,000 and your benefits stop completely. She will need to ring ALL the means tested benefits departments.

She's going to be asked to send in bank statements. I have no idea how many they will ask for. If she doesn't get these monthly she can go into her bank and they will print off the months she asks for.

• Posted

DWP actually cannot say whether she would be entitled to HB the only people who can decide that will be her local council, I think that if you are related to her then you could actually ask the question, if your not then maybe one of her children could ask for her, she does need to be careful as some of us have said, my dil mother passed away recently, it turned out that she had been overpaid by claiming HB when she was receiving other means tested benfits so they had to pay it back, I checked and unlike years ago certain things have to be repaid even after death
    • Posted

I had 16000 in the bank had to declare every thing and ended up getting nothing my friend truly forgot to declare a small pension from 40 yr ago forgot about it stopped all his money and trying to get him with fraud why oh why should we have to tell them what savings we have it's private

• Posted

Hi

It can be correct that pensioners on higher rate AA can be exempt from Council Tax and receive full housing benefit.

This lady should be declaring her interest to the DWP in respect of her Pension Credit though.

For your information under UC it is the DWP that determine the Housing Element paid as UC replaces Housing Benefit and pays a monthly amount to the claimant from which they have to pay their landlord. It's one reason that UC has caused so many problems for people who struggle to manage their finances as they tend to spend the rent money.

Hope this helps

Wendy x

• Posted

Denise that's absolutely correct but with AA in payment at the higher rate it may not effect housing benefit but will give rise to tariff income just as you say.

Cheers

Wendy x

• Posted

I presume its because imagine how you would feel if you found out that your neighbour say had a stash in the bank, owned a couple of rented out houses and actually rented a house he claimed for, that's why DWP have access to check your bank accounts, hence why we have you have to declare savings ect as all benefits except a couple PIP included are means tested, in theory only those that seriously need it get it.

• Posted

Hi Wendy actually what I meant to say was that a representative from the DWP doing an accessment for AA or PIP could not state whether someone would be entitled to HB or council tax benefit, they are not there to look at HB or CTB.

To be accessed for those benefits you have to fill out the relevant forms which go direct to the housing and council tax benefit department.

Even the turn to us website gets it wrong as well if the correct info isn't input.

• Posted

But if you had thousands in the bank you wouldn't actually need HB or CTB and even if your sick those are not the benefit s that you would be claiming, these benefits are for people who live on the breadline or a very low income.

I'm not going to get into the discussion regarding who should be entitled due to nationality' I do think that the government needs to sort things quickly

• Posted

No your totally wrong I have paid no full rate and never been out off work and worked 70 hrs a week for you to say that think you need to sit back and take a rain check I am entitled to what the poor get so don't your dare start on that also had a bad stroke so I do need lot off help what I can't get

• Posted

If a person is claim a means tested benefit, whether you or they have paid into the system for x amount of years or not, it doens't matter. Means tested benefits are tax payers money, and for this reason a persons savings/capital can't be private.

If someone is claiming Contribution Based JSA or ESA then savings/capital make no difference because they're aren't counted.

• Posted

You may consider me wrong but I'm just saying it as it is, if you have more than the government say your entitled to in the bank to claim certain benefit's then you will not be able to claim HB or CTR, benefits because your I'll are not what I'm commenting on, I'm also disabled and unable to walk but if I was renting I would not be entitled to either of these benefits even though I'm entitled to full rate PIP in both areas

• Posted

I hate that you can't edit these posts, ill comes out as I'll

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.