Universal credit

Posted , 5 users are following.

One of the UK news channels has done stories of people struggles on Universal Credit. So very sad indeed. I'm on Esa support group and PIP Daily living standard. I guess It will roll out to the whole UK, and i will have to move over to Universal Credit?

Thanks Twiglet,

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

UC is being rolled out all over the country, yes. When your area does transfer over (if it already hasn't) then those already claiming the legacy benefits like ESA,JSA, Income Support etc will NOT transfer across until at least 2019, much later in some areas. When we do eventually move across it will be called a managed migration and there will be transitional protection in place for us when it does happen. This means that we will NOT be any worse off and lose money when it happens.

If however, your area is a full UC and you have a change of circumstances then you'll have to claim UC. If this does happen then there won't be any transitional protection in place and any premiums you do claim on ESA will be lost on UC. PIP/DLA is not part of UC.  In other words there's nothing to worry about unless you have a change of circumstances before the managed migration takes place. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi I would have a look at this website, it's really good and accurate, put all your details and be 100% honest and that will tell you how much benefits you are entitled to

Turn2us Benefits Calculator

• Posted

Hi Alexandria,

At this point unless Twiglet has a change of circumstances that will mean a move to Universal Credit if his area is a full Universal Credit area then putting details into the benefits calculator wouldn't really make any difference. Twiglet is already claiming ESA and PIP. As i said, once the managed migration happens for everyone claiming means tested benefits then there will be a transitional protection in place, this means that those already claiming the legacy benefits will not be worse off when transferring over.

Those who have to move across IF they have a change of circumstances before the managed migration then they will be worse off each month.

• Posted

Hi Denise/ AlexandriaGizmo, I am awarded PIP, until November 2021, and my Esa runs out on 21-06-2018,

Thanks again to you both,

Twiglet,

• Posted

Hi,

Just because your ESA is due for re-assessment on that date it doesn't mean they'll send you the ESA50 by that date. Lots of people go over the time they should.  You will continue to be paid your money and stay the Support Group until your next re-assessment and a decision is made. Just so you don't worry and panic if they haven't contacted you nearer that date.

PIP of course is reviewed 1 year before the award is due to end.

• Posted

Hi, I was moved across to Universal Credit last November when I failed my ESA assessment. I can honestly say it is a shambles. Most of the staff don’t know what they’re doing, giving people wrong information etc. I had my LCWRA (Limited capability for work assessment) 3 weeks ago & every time I call DWP to ask for a copy of the report, they keep telling me they haven’t got it but I’ve had confirmation from the assessment Centre that they sent the report to DWP the day I had my assessment. I have made a total of 8 phone calls asking for a copy of the report & finally yesterday I managed to speak to someone at DWP who knew what they were doing & found my report in about 2 minutes, which I recieved this morning. The report was very accurate & honest so I just hope the decision maker will go with the report when they make their decision. Goodness only knows though, how long I will have to wait for the decision.

I only said to somebody yesterday, Goodness only knows what will happen when UC is rolled out everywhere cause they can’t cope now, it’s only going to get worse.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

You're right about the UC and DWP not knowing what they're talking about. It's all still very new, and not many do understand it.

It should state in that report what is recommended. LCW, LCWRA or fit for work, did it state which one?

• Posted

Hi Denise,

thank you you for your reply. 

It it does not state anywhere on the report LCW or LCWRA, although the assessor has written 4 times on various pages that she does not think I am fit for work.

There is a programme on channel 4 tonight at 19:30 about Universal Credit, which should be interesting.

• Posted

That's very odd because usually it states what's recommended, unless it's special circumstances and i'm not sure which regulation that is under UC. I know it's reg 35 for ESA Support Group.

• Posted

I thought it was odd too Denise. I callled DWP this afternoon to see f they’d made a depiction but as expected they haven’t but a note has been added to my journal asking for my case manager to contact me by Tuesday the 15th of May, so hopefully only another week to wait.
  • Posted

Hi Twiget,

There is a program on tonight at 19:30 on channel 4, about Universal Credit. 

• Posted

Thanks Kim, I've checked online and Universal Credit is not in my area yet.

How can the government treat people like that?

Thanks Twiglet,

• Posted

I didn't see the program but for those already on the legacy benefits like ESA/JSA there will be a transitional protection in place so that we won't be any worse of when transferring across. The transitional protection isn't in place yet, so if someone moves across because of change of circumstances then they will lose any premiums they were claiming on the legacy benefits.

• Posted

Hi Twiglet, you are lucky that Universal Credit isn’t in your area yet but like Denise has said you will get transitional protection when you move over. To be honest I haven’t had too many problems. That program made me realise how badly some people have & still are being treated. I’m currently waiting for my assessment results, hopefully that will be ok. 

• Posted

Wow Kim still waiting?? I was actually thinking of you a couple of days ago, i just couldn't remember for the life of me which poster it was that was waiting eeklol It's amazing how i remember all of the info regarding benefits but i can't remember specific things. Just goes to prove how much these benefits are in my head, and how much advising i do LOL.

Yes, indeed we won't be worse off when the migration starts and that's a good thing.

• Posted

Yes Denise, I’m still waiting, I am going to call them again today. It’s nearly 6 weeks now. 

I am not surprised you couldn’t remember me, you help so many people out here with your comments. 

I hope you are well. I will let you know as soon as I get a decision. Don’t hold your breath though ☹️

• Posted

Hi Denise, I hope you are well. I called DWP earlier this morning & was told the deadline for the decision maker to make a decision on my assessment is 6pm today. The lady then said without me asking, you will get a back payment today before 9:30pm. Fingers crossed I get a good decision. I will let you know as soon as I get the decision. 

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I'm not too bad thank you for asking. Hope you're well too.

This tells me that if she told you that you'll get a back payment today then you'll be awarded LCWRA (support group) if it was LCW (WRAG) then there would be no back pay because LCW is the same amount as assessment equivalent to WRAG. This is because of the changes that took places April 2017.

Everything crossed for you, because no decision is final until that DM has decided. PLease do let me know. x

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Suprise, surprise, I have not had confirmation of a decision this evening as promised. I will have to call DWP again the morning to find out why!

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I did wonder why you were told about a deadline, i've never heard of a deadline for a decision before. Hopefully you'll have some news when you ring today. x

• Posted

I thought it seem unusual for DWP to give a time when a decision will be made and a time when your back payments will be in your bank account. My Esa/PIP Payments are usually have gone into my bank after 2am.

Keep us up dated.

Thanks Twiglet,

• Posted

If a decision's been made payment is usually made at the same time. If this is the case then DWP can tell you when to expect payment. Payments usually take a few days to arrive in the bank, unless it's a same day payment. They don't often make same day payments for back dated money.

• Posted

Hi Denise, I was suprised when they told me about the deadline too, even more surprised when she told me about the back payment.

i have called again this morning & I was old they will now esculate to my Case Manager as the deadline has passed. So hopefully I will get the decision today, fingers crossed.

Thank you for you advise Denise x

• Posted

Me too but I was told earlier today when I called, that the deadline has now passed.
    • Posted

Hi Denise, I have recieved the decision following my Universal Credit Assessment. They have put me in the Limited Capability for work group. They are going to backdate the payment to the 24th October 2017 & have just told me the back dated payment will be in my account by 8pm tonight.

i am so relieved & wasn’t expecting them to do a same day payment.

Thank you for your help & advise over the last few months. I really appreciate it.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Do you mean Limited capability for work related activity? equivalent of support group? Because limited capability for work is WRAG and for this there is no bad pay.

• Posted

Hi Denise, 

No I’ve been awarded the LImited Capabily for work element (126.11 per month) which they call LCW. The other group is Limited for Work & work reletated Activity (LCWRA) an extra £328.44 per month. The LCWRA is the group that people are placed in, if they were previously in the support group of esa.

They are backdating my claim to the 24th of October 2017, the day I was taken of esa, following a failed assessment.

i hope all that makes sense. 

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I understand the difference between the 2 groups. LCW and LCWRA but the rules for LCW changed on April 3rd 2017.

When did your claim actually start? If it was after April 2017 then if awarded LCW then there's no extra money, unless you mean they are back dating it to 24th Oct 2016 and not 2017?  The LCW extra payments are only for those who started their claim before 3rd April 2017. I'm just really confused because you say you've been awarded that £126.11 extra per month? Unless they are taking the time that you actually applied for ESA into this too, i do remember that you were found fit for work when you were on ESA.

Sorry for all the questions but i don't want someone reading this and thinking that they will be paid that extra £126 if awarded LCW because as i said they changed the rules for new claimants.

• Posted

Did you get the backdated money in your bank?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.