Universal Credit

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok I know very little regarding this benefit and I am guessing theirs probably a few out their who also haven't got a clue so thought I would start the ball rolling.

I have just watched the news on BBC 1, a man was interviewed regarding UC he is disabled and uses a wheelchair, he is a resident of Scotland and and he says he has just been moved over to UC and gets £95 a fortnight and he reckons that he ends up with no money to pay for heating and is left with £10 a fortnight for food, I'm not saying that this is untrue I am just thinking that surely he can't pay rent etc on this much

Please help me out in this so I and others can understand it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Suppose I'm thinking that he is surely entitled to other benefits including PIP

• Posted

Hi Alexandria,

That really can't be true, it's actually impossible to be paid £95 a fortnight with UC. This is because UC is paid monthly. UC has replaced 6 of the means tested benefits, so ESA, JSA, Child tax credit, working tax credit, housing benefit and Income Support. Council tax reduction isn't included, this is claimed separately.

UC is made of of a standard allowance and how much this is depends on age and whether it's a joint or single claim. On top of this you have a housing element that covers housing benefit, and other different elements depending on a person circumstances. So, you have a child element, a disabled child element, carers element, and element if a person has a limited capability for work (which replaces ESA) all these elements make up a person monthly payments but it totally depends on a person circumstances. PIP/DLA/AA is NOT part of UC.

This person you talking about, if they are single and over 25 the standard allowance is £317 per month. If this person has a limited capability for work related activity (ESA Support Group equivalent) then on top of this amount they would have an extra £328 per month, so £317 + £328. On top of this also they would have their housing element and for a single person claiming PIP they would be entitled to 1 bedroom, the amount they would get will depend on the area they live but it could be £300+ extra per month on top of the other amounts i stated. This is for those unable to work of course. You also have elements for those who do work and that's totally different again.

So my thoughts are yes i know UC is dreadful BUT i really don't believe that this person only receives that amount every 2 weeks.....impossible when UC is paid monthly NOT fortnightly.

UC is a minefield even for myself but i'm getting there slowly. rolleyes

• Posted

Also if he's just been moved over to UC then he must have moved areas that was a full universal credit area because no one has been moved across yet from the old legacy benefits. This won't start to happen until at least 2019 and could be years and years later for a lot of people.

• Posted

Thanks for that Denise, my other half was gabberflasted as he was listening saying it's disgusting how can he live on that, I said I think it's B Sh## but wanted to be sure before I said anything, will try and find a link for this interview and see if I can send it you Via PM

• Posted

I can't find it, it will surely be on another time, it was BBC news earlier.

I can't be the only one who saw it grr

• Posted

Hi,

As I understood it from the interview I saw, the unfortunate claimant had asked for, and received, an emergency payment some months before and the dwp were taking £150 per month (not sure of exact sum),  from his u/c, leaving him with reduced income per month.

Mike.

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately a lot of people ask for an advance loan when first applying for UC. This is because of the 6-6 week wait for their first payment, so it's impossible for lots of people to manage until that first payment arrives. What they forget is DWP will then take the money back from future payments, leaving them considerably worse off each month until the loan is re-paid.

However if this person does have a limited capability for work related activity (ESA Support Group equivalent) then they should be getting extra money each month. Rent of course is included in the payments, unlike legacy benefits.

UC is terrible and discriminates disabled people!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.