Universal Credit

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I wondered if anyone can help with this.I have just been retired from my job with ill health as my health has deteriorated and have claimed Universal Credit and I also get pip higher mobility and standard care...my question is there no sickness element to this?...I’m expected to sit at computer 25 hrs a week and I’ve been in A&E twice and have barely been out of bed since Friday and I’m now under extreme pressure to sit and apply for jobs and I’m now 5 days behind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you're claiming for a limited capability for work then you need to send in fit notes (previously called sick notes) from your GP. UC will then send you a UC50 form to fill in and return. You will then need to attend an assessment, like you did for PIP but slightly different, with different criteria. Once you send the fit note then your work coach should then reduce your claimant commitment in line with your fit note.

You'll need to continue to send the fit notes until decision's been made on the assessment. Once the decision's been made you'll either be given Limited capability for work (LCW) or limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) or you could be found fit for work. If you're given LCWRA you'll be awarded with an additional amount of £328.32 per month, which will be payable from the 14th week of your claim. If you're given LCW then you'll receive no extra amount in your UC.

It's very similar to ESA but the names of the groups are different and the payments are monthly rather than fortnightly.

A visit to your local CAB or other disability advice centre in your area would be advised once you receive the UC50 form. Evidence will also been needed to support your claim, because they rarely contact anyone for evidence. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you very much Denise ...I applied for UC on the 18th July I met with someone for an identity meeting and I gave her a fit note from 17th July till 1st October and then I had to meet with a work coach last week who said I had to look for work for 25 hours but as I say I’ve been really ill for 4 days...I’m so stressed out still I’m trying my best to apply for as many as I can....we meet again next week should I ask?....my 1st UC is due on the 29th Aug....I’m new to this and I really appreciate your advice Denise Thank you xx
    • Posted

You're welcome. Well it's totally up to your work coach how much they reduce your hours by but yes you really should speak to them next week.

There's a 6 week wait for first payment with UC so that time is about right. If you're claiming for the housing element as well then don't forget to take your tenancy agreement, otherwise you won't be paid this element.

• Posted

Hi Denise I messaged my work coach asking if I was going to be assessed about my illness etc I also added I’d been really ill and had to go to A&E 3 times in the last week ...I said I’d gotten attendance slips to prove this and she said I’d be sent this form in due course but I still had to do my 25 hours of job searches per week.I feel like I’m banging my head against a brick wall as I’ve still got to fulfill my “commitments” by having 50 hours of jobs applied for by next week....😩😩😩

• Posted

Hi,

This is disgusting and your work coach is being very unreasonable by not reducing your work commitments even further. In fact it's discrimination against because they are refusing to reduce your commitments based on your health. Your work coach can not expect you to do 25 hours per week when you've been to A&E 3 times this week!!

Have you added a note to your journal, explaining that you're unable to complete your commitments because of your health? Did your work coach accept the fit note you handed in? You need to ring UC helpline and explain all of this to them, tell them that your work coach is refusing to reduce your work commitments and you're worried you'll be sanctioned because you're unable to complete them. They will help you, or should help you. If you get no joy with this then you need to ring DWP UC and ask to speak to your work coach's manager (give the name of your work coach) They will ring you back within a certain amount of time, most likely within 48 hours. When you get that call tell the manager everything, tell them you have proof you were in A&E because of your health.

UC will send you a UC35 letter after day 28 of your sickness. It's a letter explaining what happens. After this and most likely sometime within 13 weeks you'll be sent a UC50 form to fill in and return along with all of your evidence to prove your conditions. You must return this form no later than the date stated! Once this has been sent you'll receive an appointment for a face 2 face assessment called a work capability assessment.

May i ask a couple of questions, do you rent your home and are you claiming the housing element of UC?

You say you've retired recently from your job because of your health. Did you work and pay National Insurance before you stopped work? and when was the last time you actually worked and paid this?

• Posted

Hi  Denise thanks for your help. I have actually rang her and asked to speak to her instead of leaving her messages and she was busy but got back to me within an hour.Ive explained how I’ve been to A& E 3 times and had proof and that I felt they were just asking too much of me.She agreed to lower my work commitments to 16hrs a week.I have worked for the past 24 years and paid full Tax & NI I last worked in May but I got paid up until mid Jy which is when I made the UC claim.I do rent my home and they’ve got my tenancy agreement and they did accept my fit note which was from mid July till 1st Oct and my GP states that I’m unfit for work.Im really limited in what I can do...my mobility is shocking and she knows I use a walker with a seat as I can’t walk far.I feel I’m being treated unfairly and told her so.Ive said I’ll bring all my attendance slips I’ve got to our meeting next week. xx

• Posted

No problem. In my opinion 16 hours is still disgusting and if i were you then i'd be taking my advice in my previous comment. I would not be accepting those 16 hours for my comments and i'd be taking it further. That's totally unrealistic for someone that's been to A&E 3 times so far this week.

Your work capability assessment could be months and months away and if you don't do those 16 hours per week you'll be sanctioned for sure. If you are sanctioned then you can appeal that decision.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yes you can apply for limited capability for work or work related activity. You may have an assesment. You get about 300 pounds more.
    • Posted

Thank you very much Tina ...I’ll ask questions next week at my meeting with my work coach xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.