Universal credit

Posted , 3 users are following.

Due to the current situation we have had to make a claim for UC, it seems that the amount of net pay my partner takes home has been advise at around £300 more than it actually is and reduces the payment due to us. I have used the online calculators and worked out using the formula advised by the DWP and it leaves us somewhere between £180 - £280 short for the month. I have entered details into the calculator exactly as they should be but obviously if dwp have been given the wrong figure by HMRC then im not sure what to do. I'm self employed and have lost my entire income due to c19 and not entitled to any help from the self employment scheme so we were relying on the small amount of UC to see us through. Is there anything I can do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Your partners employer will report earnings to HMRC and DWP then receive it through real time information (RTI) any earnings received during your UC assessment period will affect the amount you're entitled to. This also includes tax rebates as well.

Was she paid twice during your assessment period?

If not then she will need to contact her employer.

• Edited

he possibly was the day we applied and the same date the following month. But its not double the amount, its a few hundred pounds different from his payslip. So it looks like his pension contribution has been added back on as well as a few other things like student loan and insurance. I have been advised that only tax and NI are deducted from gross pay by the dwp, but I was inder the impression that pension contributions should be deducted too. Is it possible for his payslip to be different to what HMRC have been advised?

• Posted

It helps to have some understanding as to how UC works. Your thoughts are not correct. DWP do not deduct tax or NI, that's deducted by HMRC.

Your earnings will reduce your UC by 63% if you don't have a work allowance.

If you have dependent children you will have a work allowance. If you receive the housing element in your UC amount then your work allowance will be £292. If you don't receive the housing element your work allowance will be £512. The work allowance means that you will be able to earn that amount of money each assessment period before you start to see deductions. The deductions of 63% will then apply to earnings you receive over that amount.

If you don't have dependent children then there's a straight 63% deductions for all earnings you receive each month.

If you've used a benefits calculator then they are only as good as the information you put into them.

I have a feeling that you've worked this out incorrectly and the amount of UC you've received is correct.

• Posted

The figure that DWP use is your net earnings. They don't take into consideration any deductions such as pensions, student loans or insurance etc.

• Posted

This is why i'm confused. When using the calculator i have input all information correctly, payslip information as the gross pay and the pension contribution in the box that asked for it. The figure given was significantly different to the amount we have been advised. Im aware that the tax and NI are calculated by Hmrc and not dwp but what do you do if the information is wrong ? Having done some sums and adding the pension and other deductions back on to the NET shown on the payslip it still doesn't add up to the amount advised to the DWP

• Posted

As advised, any benefit calculator is only as good as the information you put into it.

Without knowing more information it's impossible to give any further advice. In a comment about you said that you were somewhere between £180 - £280 short in your UC payment. If you used the benefit calculator correctly it should give you more of an accurate figure than that.

How many times was your partner paid during your last assessment period?

Do you have children, do you rent or own your own home?

• Posted

In an above comment you said this.... "he possibly was the day we applied and the same date the following month. But its not double the amount, its a few hundred pounds different from his payslip".

May i ask what you meant by this? Did you mean your partner was paid twice during your assessment period (AP) or did your partner or yourself receive a tax rebate?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.