Universal Credit change of address

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi just wondering if someone could help me out.

im currently living in private rented and should be moving shortly to a new property which will be council and better for me.

im on Esa and pip, my area does have universal credit, ive heard of people being on it!!

my question is.... when i report my new address, will they want to change me to UC? or is only certain people with certain benefits on it?

i dont understand UC at all, was hoping not to get it.

thanks for reading

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It depends. Is the area you're moving to the same local council as where you're living now or a different local council?

• Posted

hello,

same area, same council xx

• Posted

This isn't a change of circumstances and won't prompt a move to UC, you'll stay on your existing benefits. A different local council would have prompted a move across.

• Posted

oh thats great to know, thank you.

are they moving everyone on to UC eventually?

and is it true its a different amount of money that we will be less off?

im a single disabled mum living with just my child, receiving child benefit, child tax, housing benefit, esa SG, PIP enhanced for both.

• Posted

Eventually yes everyone will be moved across but that won't be until at least 2020 but quite possibly later than that. Once you do move across there will be a transitional protection in place so you won't be any worse off. If of course in the mean time you do move because of a change of circumstances then you will be worse off.

There's something i want to check with you though. Does anyone claim Carers Allowance for looking after you? If not are you claiming the Severe disability premium on top of your ESA?

• Posted

oh right i get it now thank you!

good job for the transitional protection.

hopefully nothing will pop up in the mean time for a change in circumstance. I do have a pip review next year i think it is, if that stays the same, all will stay the same? but if that changes will it go to UC . or is that wrong?

yes i live alone with my daughter and i do get the SDP on top of my EsA, thanks for making sure anyway. i didnt know about it nor did i have to apply, the DwP automatically done it, once i was awarded my pip 😃

for those people who are now having to claim UC without the transitional protection, do you know how much the difference is? and why are they doing it?

sorry i dont know much, in fact nothing at all about UC

Thanks for your replys, you do a brilliant job on this site. I dont post but im always reading up as much as i can xx

• Posted

PIP isn't part of UC. UC has replaced 6 legacy benefits, Income related ESA and JSA, Income Support , housing benefit, Child and working tax credits.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed separately.

If a person claims SDP on top their benefits and a change of circumstances prompts a move to UC then they will lose at least £180 per month, possibly more. Those that don't claim the SDP then the amount they will lose will depend on circumstances. Some people will be better off on UC but mostly this will be working people, not disabled people.

It's very rare that DWP automatically paid you the SDP, in fact it's not automatically paid normally because of the criteria which is why lots of people miss out because they don't know it exists.

Glad i could help and have at least put your mind at rest. Good luck with your house move. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.