University After Double Hallux Valgus Surgery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good day to you,

I just wanted a bit of assistance from people who have undergone the procedure - preferably those who have had bilateral surgery but I'll take what I can get really. I'm a full-time university student and have been told I have 'moderate to severe deformities in both feet' and I have my pre-op tomorrow. However, if this is performed quickly, I go back to university (forty minutes drive from my home) about five weeks from now (23rd or 24th September) and am concerned about how able and mobile I will be. 

The waiting list for this operation is eighteen weeks which would be mid-December but I have then exams the first or second week of January.

Essentially either way, I'd have between three-four weeks before returning to university. Would this even be wholly possible given the time-frame and do you reckon that I would need a wheelchair for getting around campus? (I'll live about -a fifteen-twenty minutes walk away from campus.) 

Thank you for all your help and apologies for the probably jumbled-ness of this post. Have a wonderful day. 😊

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

I had one foot done 22. june and I can't walk properly yet or drive a car with stick (left foot), so when you say two feet at once!!; I would plan so that I had summervacation (is it very painful or can you wait?) or to start off the recovery period. It is however very different fro, person to person, buy it is also very painful and takes a lot of time and energy, so you can't expect to be able to focus 100% on your studies- everything will be quite slow for weeks. I was in the sofa with elevated foot for weeks- and you have two feet. Now 7 weeks later I walk like a zoombie with ine stick and it it still very painful to walk and I am excersicing every day to get the mobility back...but again it is very individual...but don't expect a walk in the park :-) Best of luck Vibeke

sorry for the spelling - I'm Danish and in a hurry ;-))

• Posted

Hi Becky

I had a double bunion op and a hammer toe straightened 9th June. The first 4 days were really bad with the pain. However I kept on top of the pain medication and caught up on much needed sleep.

I've just been dismissed from the care of my consultant who says to try driving now. The best way to try an emergency stop and if it doesn't hurt your foit/feet to try local driving. He has advised me though not to do my 60 mile round trip to work. Doesn't want the hard work undone! So depending on how you heal and his authorisation 're your driving.

In respect of walking after the op. It will be painful. I have 8 stone steps to get up to enter my house. I took my time and wrnt up slowly. Rested when I got in thechoyse. Then stairs to get to the bedroom/bathroom. Again very slowly. Cane down the stairs on my bottom which was easier for me. Didn't do much walking really for the first two weeks. Then just went out with My Husband to the supermarket- aided with crutches. You will be given surgical shoes to wear too, which will be a must to help walk g so you don't damage your feet.

I would highly recommend the Facebook page "I survived a bunionetcomy" so very helpful to answer All your questions as you go through your journey.

Sorry for the lo g reply. Hope it's helped

Lynn 👍

• Posted

Hi Becky - I had a bunionectomy and a hammer toe straightening op late January.   I was advised not to be weight bear for six weeks.  To be honest the pain is quite intense so you don't feel like walking anway only essential moving about.   Manageable though with pain killers.  

I also had a few problems in that the wound didn't heal.  I didn't drive for ten weeks and had to inform insurance company.  It has taken me until now to feel normal ie that is six months after op.  I have no swelling or pain.   I'm now needing other foot done.  Consultant said wait a year that is the normal time for the healing process to be complete.

So glad I did as I was told.  My foot looks and feels really good!  

Good luck.

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane.

Would love to hear a little more about your experience, if you wish to share.

I had a bunioectomy with two screws and a hammertoe tighned June 22. I was not bearing weight for 6 weeks either, most of the time was lying with foot elevated. What I would like to hear is what kind of excersices you did for the mobility? My big toe is almost stiff and other toes don't respond well either- it's ike my whole ankle doesn´t respond that well, right post op I couldt not move the ankle at all, but was excirsing in the air to try and move it, manually too.... Did you have this, too? Now I'm walking like a zoombie, gets a little better everyday, but can't bend the fore foot and it is very ouch! Do you have any advice, please :-)

Best regards,

Vibeke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.