Unknown Abdominal Issue

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve come here because I’m having some health issues that are stumping the doctors and I wanted to see if maybe someone has gone through something similar and has answers.

My symptoms are:

-sore throats in the morning. 

-extreme and worsening hoarseness. 

-stomach aches in the mornings (especially after eating food late at night or eating something I’m allergic to). 

-hiccups(?) after meals. It’s like my food doesn’t want to stay down. 

These are pretty typical signs of acid reflux, right? The only issue is that even on the medicine, these symptoms have persisted. I’ve tried every medicine. Most of them made me feel like acid was dumped down my throat. My GI doctor wanted to do surgery, but was completely stumped when the damage in my esophagus healed after a few months on the medicine. My ph probe came back normal and I swallow just fine. 

I went to an ENT and they confirmed via scope that my vocal folds have swelling and irritation caused by severe acid reflux, but when he did his own ph probe (at the top of the throat), it also came back normal. He basically told me I needed to go somewhere else for treatment because he has 0 ideas on what could be going on. 

I’ve been struggling with this for YEARS and I’m going a bit crazy. Does anybody have any idea what on earth could be going on? (The doctors don’t think it’s bile reflux either since there’s no damage to suggest that it’s a problem)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I also have nosebleeds
  • Posted

What medication are you on and what strength is it?
    • Posted

Right now I’m on Omeprazole 40mg in the mornings, but I fasted from medication for 5+ days for the tests. Previously, I was on 20mg twice a day. 
  • Posted

I also have some of those symptoms. Also been to ENT and told problem is from acid reflux. As well as adherence to meds regime, I have to be very strict about eating - never eating within 3 hours of bedtime, cutting out citrus, raw tomatoes, higher fat foods, raw apples, pears, fizzy drinks, most caffeinated drinks. Keeping a food diary, noting down symptoms and rating strength of voice helped in working out my triggers. Meds on their own won’t do it. I’ve also been losing some excess weight. My symptoms had got worst last year. After testing positive for h pylori had eradication therapy. Am now negative for h pylori and after further gastroscopies no other condition found. So just a matter of managing symptoms - lifestyle changes as well as meds. Good luck finding out more or what works for you in settling matters down.

• Posted

Consult a dietician as to what foods you should be eating. Most insurance will cover if referred by a physician or hospital.
  • Posted

That's sad that your own doctor can't find a remedy for you. Hope you find a real doctor with experience. So sorry you are going through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.