Unknown abdominal pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum thing, but I'm in dire need for advice as to what could be wrong with me. I've been to the ED twice and I'm scheduled to have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on 9/18. The ED nor the gastroenterologist have even offered me any idea as to what it could be. This whole thing started 7/17. Started with severe pelvic pain and had blood in my urine. I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and given Bactrim for that. I went to the beach on a vacay. During this time I caught a bad cold and was treating it with a lot of tylenol, Nyquil and even though I don't drink I would take a shot of rye and go to bed to break up the conjestion. During this I began to have a lot of diarrhea which made me loose weight and stomach pain. My actual stomach feels full and tender to press in on. I have cramps that radiate from my stomach area and then to mostly my right side of abdomain. I'm in constant pain but it gets worse after a meal. Resting in the recliner seems to help. Now, at night while sleeping, I wake up to severe pain on both sides of my abdomain below the ribs in the flank area I guess. It hurt to inhale deep. It usually gets better after getting up and moving around. The diarrhea has gotten some better it's not constant, mostly after eating. I had my gallbladder taken out in 1999. So it's not that. My CBC came back ok. But I was looking up my record on the hospitals patient portal and noticed that my ALT was 66 and my AST was 50. A little over the norm. But it must not mean anything because the ED didn't mention it. Albumin was 4.0, total protein was 7.4, bilirubin was 0. 5, lipase was a 50, and alkaline phosphate was an 80. I guess all norm. I do smoke, but I have cut down. The worst part is the pains in my sides each morning. What could this be? I'm naturally a worrier and I'm scared. Could it be cancer, I don't know. the ED Dr. Did say the good news is that it wasn't my liver or pancreas or something that needed surgery right away. Could all of this stem from a reaction to the bactrim antibiotic or over use of NSAID'S? Maybe my intestines are just irratated Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get it all out there in hopes someone could help. Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

wait and see what the endoscopy and a colonoscopy  show.  if nothing than ask for a CT scan along with a CT scan of the arteries.  i have a very mild case of celiac artery stenosis but i also have C.S.I. D.  Congrential Surcase Isomaltase Deficiency.  which they thought was started as a small child.  Wrong i am 60 and have been misdiagnosed for years with IBS or IBS  D  .  Good luck

• Posted

The ER gave me a CT scan without contrast. I Guess with contrast it would have shown more detail. They said everything looked fine.
  • Posted

Have you had a chest x-ray or abdominal ultrasound yet?

Could be an ulcer

• Posted

No. I did have a CT scan without contrast that showed nothing. But that's all.

• Posted

Oh!! Than what are you worried about then? That shows everything , so you can't possibly have cancer! So why are you still worried about that?

You have something going on but nothing like cancer. Gotta get that out of your head. You had a CT scan done. It would show something. Just be excited about finding out what it is and just getting it treated. Nothing bad though, you have ruled that out. Just relax, the worrying will make pain worse 

• Posted

The colonoscopy and endo will be good if you never had one. The!endo can check for an ulcer or gastritis which is pretty common.

Colonoscopy never hurts to have one done... can remove any polyps and stuff like that but if you had anything nafarious in either region, CT would have shown a red flag for them to investigate further.

So after you get both of them done, you will have had a more thourogh check than most people :-)

They will eventually figure it out, but stop the worrying , it's nothing life threatning or a terminal illness like cancer.

• Posted

Gallbladder surgery can trigger IBS.  Try a food diary if pain is worse after eating.
  • Posted

Ok. I went to another dr. He's doing some blood work, because at the ER I have slightly elevated liver enzymes. He's checking for a few things, but said not to worry. He even took a stool sample to yest for C Diff. My enzyme levels are no real high but concerns me as to why? My ALT was a 66. My AST was 59. Which indicates liver problems, medications and things. I noticed too that my MPV was considered low. I think that has to do with blood clotting? Anyway, my urine still has blood and now I was told it has bilirubin in it as well. Anyone know what that means? I know I'm a worrier, but you must know my brother had cirrhosis And Hep C. I was his caregiver. And he died suddenly at home right in front of me from fluid build up. It was traumatic for me. So you can imagine why I'm scared. This Dr. Is testing me for Hep. C because of his history. It's probably just an infection in my body or side effects from the bactrim I was on. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.