Unknown abdominal pain.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. This is my first post so please bear with me. 

On the 15th February I was diagnosed with a chest infection. I was put on 7 days of Amoxicillin. I returned a week later and GP said everything was know fine and I was sent on my way.

Several hours later I ended having a paramedic out as I was suffering from whole body tremors. They said my temperature was high and sent me to hospital the following morning. Whilst a hospital they checked for pneumonia and a blood clot, (all were clear) the only abnormal thing found was a CRP of 20, so they said “you look like you have an infection but we don’t know where” They gave me another weeks worth of Amoxiclav. 

Two weeks after that I returned to my GP as I know couldn’t hold my bladder, was still having one sided tremors, was still recording the odd temperature of 38.9c and started having lower abdominal pain. They then said they still didn’t know what was going on but, have another weeks worth of Amoxiclav.

The GP did some blood tests; ESR - 45bCRP - 18 (only 2 abnormal) however he said they are perfectly normal for someone who is my age (23yrs). 

I have had a normal ultrasound, normal chest xray, bloods mostly normal, 4 normal urine samples. 

After being signed off for 5 weeks, I am fed up! I am not sure what to do next? I still have abdominal pain in all 4 quadrants and still feel rough. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The infection could be caused by being on 40mg of Omeprazole. PPI’s kill all stomach acid, this in turn can lead to infectious disease. 
    • Posted

I have been on it for over a year and have always worried about the harm it could do long term. I read about all the problems with it but my doctor and pharmacist just laughed and said I shouldn’t believe everything I read. 
    • Posted

Your doctor and pharnacist should not have laughed at your concerns. I know someone who was on long term PPIs for acid reflux and he often caught gastroenteritis because he got more prone to stomach bugs while on them.
    • Posted

Doctors don’t like to admit the side effects of their medications because of the drug companies.
  • Posted

Try probiotics which are found in yoghurts.  Antibiotics kill off good bacteria in your gut.  I caught a candida infection after antibiotics for a non existant UTI.  My doctor told me this reaction is common.  My real problem was finally diagnosed as IBS.  However, I had generalised shifting abdominal pain, change of bowel habit, nausea and back pain.  I had a normal ultrasound, urine test, celiac and stool tests for h pylori and fecal calprotectin.    If all your tests are negative, IBS is diagnosed.

However, I would go back to your doctor until you get a firm diagnosis of your symptoms.  You may need an endoscopy to see if you have gastritis.  It is possible the antibiotics inflammed your stomach lining.  They may also look for h pylori. 

• Posted

I have the activia blueberry yoghurt.

Tried a few, but that is the one I like.

Which yoghurts do you have, and are you eating other things to help?

Junie

• Posted

I have had the  h pylori test done February last year. Came back negative. Since then they just said keep on either 20mg/40mg Of Omeprazole.  

My Sonographer said at my ultrasound that she was shocked I had not had an endoscopy. When I suggested it to be my docotr they said I need to wait for the tummy pain to settle before they would do one. 

• Posted

I tried Activia too when I had loose stools at the beginning of my IBS and it seemed to help.  Any flavour helped.  I am not sure it was coincidence that it worked in four days.   My IBS is in remission, so I am not taking anything just now.
    • Posted

Ask someone else about the endoscopy for a second opinion.  I heard of someone else who had bad stomach pain and was offered an endoscopy by their doctor!  He was frightened to have it initially because of his pain.  However, he had it done and it was fine. It did not make his pain worse.  Your doctor maybe is being over cautious.  I was told not to have one when I was in my teens because I was too young!  Everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.