Unknown Abdominal Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all fellow abdominal pain suffers,

I'm at a bit of a desperate need for help!

First let me describe myself.

I'm a 27 year old, Male. 5'6" currently 140lbs(10 stone 2)

I do not drink nor take drugs except smoke daily.

My diet lately has been different but normally all American sandwiches cereal low fruit fiber vegetables.

I have genial herpes and was exposed to Hep C but do not have a viral load.

From the beginning, I started experiencing these pains in my upper right abdominal area. My doctor took blood tests and confirmed my liver was normal except a slightly elevated bilirubin(1.9mg) not caused for concern. I started to feel better and started eating normal again but the pain would come back weeks to a couple months. Then another test for liver ... nothing. They then sent me to do an ultrasound for my liver. All clear. Nothing. I would then feel better after just a couple of days. These symptoms would last from a couple days to 2 week Max.

This last episode has been extremely awful as I first started getting the common cold but not coughing. I started taking DayQuil. After a couple days I got extremely sick pain from hell sick. I visited the ER 4 times last week and all times they came back clear nothing wrong.

My Doctor is NO help at all. I've don't several tests from a different doctor because the new symptoms were blurry vision and brain fog.

I have been having a very poor diet because anything I ingest causes pain. Right now I'm saying f## it and eating bland food and dealing with the pain.

All tests are normal

Component ValueStandard Range

SED RATE-WEST2 mm/hr0 - 15 mm/hr

EGFR112.11 mL/min>59 mL/min

MET ACID,126 nmol/L0 - 378 nmol/L

HGB A1C5.3 %4.8 - 5.6 %

ANANegative Negative

Again my blood tests for liver all good just slightly elevated bilirubin.

Symptoms range from cramps sharp pains constipation generally upper right abdominal area but can go to bladder colon stomach and around the belly button.

Thank you for reading! Please help!

Jeremiah

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How's your gallblader? Did you do an ultrasound for gallstones? Pancreas?

• Posted

Doctors said it couldn't be gallstones because it would have passed by then and ultrasound for liver included gallbladder and pancreas. They were normal. Thanks for the reply

• Posted

A ultrasound doesn't always detect if your gallbladder is bad. Have them do a test where they put dye into you & see if your pains come while their doing the test. That's how they found out that my gallbladder was only functioning at 12%. Something to look into.

• Posted

Can you see which part of bilirubin was elevated? 

conjugated or non-conjugated?

It tells a lot, not all, but is a difference.

Even if ANA was positive (which it is in 40% of NORMAL people), it would give no clue. That your kidneys are filtering well and HGB have never seen in %, what is that?

It could be your gallbladder and what I have learnt in this forum, that often abdominal ultrasounds and MRI/CTs were normal, but HIDA scan and the more invasive internal dye tests =  Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) or internal ultrasounds the only exams to show the culprit.

(There is also a genetic, more men effecting condition called 'Gilbert' or 'Meulengracht', have a read just to be informed, sometimes it is so mild, that only slight elevated bilirubin levels are measured. But people experience pain. Or sometimes have 2 seperate things and concentrate in the wrong area due to bilirubin?)

• Posted

and HIDA ( =cholescintigraphy and hepatobiliary scintigraphy), would be non invasive, no scope to swallow! ;-) just some tracker injected and wait/scan.

I guess gastro- and colonoscopy is routine 'first' on their list. Good luck in convincing them if you went straight for ERCP.  ;-)

But it's always good to know, what tests are out there and pre-inform, if they made sense.

• Posted

Again thank you! I don't know why they went straight to that too. I'm sure it's the easiest way to see in there but I can't do sedatives and they want to knock me out. So much money and time sigh. The doctor will be messaging me back soon. The assistant just called to confirm the colonoscopy and endoscopy.I kept it for now. But better to do less invasive first for sure thank you again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.