Unknown Bite/Allergic Reaction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have this red, itchy bump on my right hip/ upper thigh. It has been there for about 5 days and started out looking like a normal mosquito bite, about the size of a pinky nail. It has only become more red and about 5+ times the size. It is slightly hard in the middle. I have attached an image of the current condition of the area. I would rather not have to go to the dermatologist and potentially pay for them to tell me I need some cortisone cream and I'll be fine..

Any serious opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I should also note, mosquitos love me. My bites typically get larger than most people I know and I tend to get many more of them, but I've never had one that looked like this. They typically fade within a couple days, although they always itch like crazy.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You're not from the uk then if you say you need to pay? It doesn't look infected. I would try hydrocortisone cream for a couple of days to see if it reduces in suze and redness. A cream with anti histamine would be better. You could also try anti histamine tablets. If it gets worse or bigger then go see a health professional / GP / rapid access clinic/ walk in centre.

• Posted

Thanks Vicky!

No, I'm from the US. And I don't even know if they would make me pay just to take a quick look at it, I just don't want to take the chance if I don't have to. Any idea of what it could be..? Or does it just look like an over-aggravated mosquito bite?

• Posted

Like you mosquitos love me and my bites get larger in circumference and height than normal.  They never stay the pinky nail size.   Mine also itch terribly and don't fade in a couple of days, more like 7-10 days.  Mine have always had a smooth round edge not like in your picture.  Your bite seems to have a more irregular edge.  So I would rule out, has you have done, a mosquito bite.  Have you tried the cortisone cream to see if it helps?  I have also used pramoxine lotion but it seems to me that just putting the cream/lotion on a bite makes it itch more!  I have had flea bites but so long ago I don't recall much except red and itching.  I've also gotten into poison ivy/oak and didn't know what was going on because it spread and I ended up at the doctors.  If you have already gone for 5 plus days without a fever or pain (other than the itch) "I" would probably try the cortisone/promoxine cream and wait for improvement.  A friend had a spider bite and within 2-3 days she had a severe reaction that made her seek medical help.  So luckly it's probably not a spider.  Check for pictures on insect bites online and see what you find.  Good luck. 

• Posted

possible ringworm, look it up and try intifungal cream. its over the counter. good luck it will take a few weeks, please cover it up sins it  can spread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.