unknown cause of hyperkalemia

Posted , 5 users are following.

ever sense i was little i have had server muscle craps, fatigue, and eposodes of servere diarrhea. last year i had my potassium checked and it was 6.8 waited a week, then it was 5.7,  third time it was 7.1.  doctor check kdneys, cortisol, and alderston and they were all good. now a month later my potassium is back at 4.6.... any idea what i should tell my doctor to check because he has know idea why it was high..?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i have had these symptoms all my life i only went to the doctors recently because i was waking up in the night with arm numbness and feeling like i wasnt getting oxyagen in, and that kinda freeked me out a bit.
  • Posted

Unfortunately, I do not have any idea at all. I am trying to figure out if anyone knows about my sons blood tests. Maybe have him do a complete blood count , if They haven't already. Maybe your body lacks what it needs to maintain potassium in your body...go get a second opinion from a New Dr if he cannot figure out what is wrong. Wish I could be more help...good luck, hope you find out what is wrong.
  • Posted

hi will,

dehydration casue low potassium levels, muscle cramps as well as the fatigue. this could be beacause you aren't replacing the fluids that you are loosing. you might need to see a GI to have your bowel symptoms checked and see if there is a connection. I hope there is an esier answer to what your experiencing.

• Posted

Hi Will,

Correction: Dehydration can cause low potassium levels etc.(Sorry about the error)

• Posted

I was hospitalized twice with low potassium,

I lost the use of my arms and legs.

The first time it was 1.2 second time 1.9

I had my kidneys checked all fine.

Do you take ibuprofen as that can cause it.

• Posted

I am only 25 btw, when in grade 1 or 2 i got a bad virus and came prety close to death, had a fever that was too high for the theromometer and was in coma, i was wondering even though the blood work for my kidneys came back ok should i ask for an ultrasound of them?.. just annoying that my doctor seems clueless and i have to come up with these ideas -_-
  • Posted

hi Will,

My son also had an extremely high fever for days that could not be controlled by medicine. However he didn't go into a coma like you did. He was around the same age as you were.  He has also had low potassium levels since with no conclusion. You could bring up the ultrasound to your Dr. and explain your past history, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

• Posted

I had low potassium twiice. First time it was 1.2 and I lost the use of my arms and legs.

Second time I lost the use of my legs potassium was 1.8 (nearly died twice doctor said over use of anti inflammatory ibuprofen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.