Unknown knee injury

Posted , 6 users are following.

I injured my knee about 4 years back playing football, I twisted around and just ended up on the floor in pain, went to a&e and found I couldn't put weight on it, and it was badly swollen, I never got a proper answer as to what I did, but after a year of following all instructions from the physio, I still found that my knee was giving way during running sports, and I was getting an aching pain after walking for anything over an hour, then about 6 months ago I re-injured the same knee when landing after jumping for a header, I had my knee bent on at first and was in a considerable amount of pain... when I straightened the knee I felt something pop, almost like it was popping back into place? I had massive discomfort, and some pain for weeks, I was told I had partially dislocated my knee cap, again I followed the physios exercises, then bought a bike as recommended, and I've been regularly biking for 2hrs+ a day to strengthen my knee, but 6 months on my knee now gives way alot more often during sports, and it feels almost like my knee is coming apart, my knee sometimes locks when walking which brings me to a full stop, and if I twist my knee quickly whilst putting weight on it I can crack it without fail, I still have swelling appearing at this point... I am also still suffering from aching pains, I was told I should be fit within 8 weeks of the incident, I've had an xray which showed nothing, and I've debated asking for an mri, but I'm not sure whether I should or not? I'm not sure if I am being over dramatic or if this is a major problem? I've been told by some family and friends to just quit any sports involving running, but at 24yrs old I feel like I should have the ability to enjoy the things I love... thanks in advance for any responses! any more details needed feel free to message me

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would ask for an MRI as it can show issues that might not be caught on an xray. You have to be your own advocate.

• Posted

I would ask for the MRI. they can't really see soft tissue injuries in an x-ray.

• Posted

It sounds like a cartilage tear. You need an MRI to diagnose it properly.

• Posted

peter16381, SUGGEST you make an appointment to see a surgeon or suitable trained medical person to examine your knee to ascertain what the problem is. You do not mention in your post whether you have seen a surgeon etc. Remember physiotherapists are NOT surgeons and without the physio knowing EXACTLY what is wrong with your knee the physio MAY be carrying out inappropriate treatment leading to further damage of your knee.

• Posted

I have never spoken to a surgeon, everytime I go to see my gp they seem to suggest to just go back to my physio, and my physio just seems to give me the same exercises over and over, the last time I went to the gp, I refused to see the physio again, so they sent me for an xray, but admitted they weren't expecting to see any problems in the xray

• Posted

Ask for a referral to a orthopaedic surgeon or a muscoskeletal clinic if they won't refer you for a MRI. An X-ray won't show up any soft tissue problems. You have the right to ask for a second opinion.

• Posted

Get in to see a surgeon, not a GP who is likely guessing and trying to dismiss you. Insist on a MRI. About 10 years ago my GP argued that I was getting excruciating headaches from tension and stress. I could barely function.After two MRI'S it turns out that I have severe disc degeneration from C1 to C7 which were putting pressure on nerves causing headaches and numbness in my hands. If I had taken .y doctors diagnosis as fact, I would have been in a lot of pain still. Don't be intimidated to demand what you need. I did and am thankful that I did.

• Posted

got in touch with my gp, I requested a mri scan, just found out last week that I've torn my cruciate ligament and damaged my meniscus, now waiting for a reconstruction surgery date, appreciate all the help and advice on this subject

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.