Unknown neurological condition? ( similar to nacrolepsy)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I,m 27 y.o. male. Have been suffering nagging symptoms for almost 6 years now, which vary from  having sore eyes, stiff muscles, tremor, heartbeat, sweating , drowsiness, asthenia , resulting from sitting with symptoms progressing with time spent immobilized.

Feeling heavy-headed in the morning.

Encephalography and MRI are detecting nothing peculiar.

Neurosis has been eliminated.  

I find it impossible to do sedentary work on daily basis, connected with using pc.

Feeling condition aggravate during last several weeks - spending time lying down, being drowsy most of the time.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, the symptoms you mention sound similar to mine, but for me it took doctors nearly 2 years to diagnose, probably because at the time the condition in the UK only effected 7 people - even now, the condition is very easily overlooked. I was diagnosed by an American Professor in London in the 80's.

You mention:

Sore eyes - do they become red and itch at various times of the day?

Stiff Muscles - which muscles are effected more. In my case I get very stiff muscles in my neck, shoulders and calf. I also suffer from a lot of cramps.

Tremor - is this effecting one or more parts of the body?

Drowsiness - Do you suffer from broken sleep during the night? or do you still feel drowsy even after a good 8 hours sleep?

Do you take any medication for any of the symptoms at all?

I remember feeling like a guinea pig after having having so many tests done which included MRI's, CT Scans, Eye tests, blood tests, walking ability (my mobility has become worse over the years), etc.

I have suffer from 3 conditions, all of which are related to the nervous system, initially I only had one problem. Diagnosing nerve disorders can be difficult, even though mine started when I was around 18-19 yrs old, the disorder had many variations and I have gone to a second stage.

The reason I ask the questions is because there are numerous neurologists in the UK, and many have their own websites which detail various conditions of just one disorder.

• Posted

I think I'm past acute stage of my condition. For more than 3 years I had constant sore eyes at rest .

My eyes get neither red nor itchy.

Upper body muscles are effected most. Neck, blades, trazpezius, deltoids, forearms, chest .

I'd say I do not usually have visual signs of tremor. It's like inner feeling of it in the whole body. But I'm certain that my arms shake at times.

I'm always feeling weak and drowsy after night's sleep. It's been almost 2 months that I want to sleep all the time.

I wasn't prescribed any sort of medication.

• Posted

Have you heard of Functional Episodes/non-epileptic seizures? The diagnosis for these are often overlooked by neurologists.

Take a look at the following website:

http://www.neurosymptoms.org

It is run by a well known Consultant Neurologist, Dr Jon Stone.

There is quite a lot of information he has put up, but it does cover many neurological conditions.

See if that gives you any better idea of your condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.