Unpleasant heart symptoms when trying to stop Zopiclone......can anyone advise please??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Zopiclone 3.75mg every night for last 7 years. I don't have a problem taking them but recently the GP's at my local doctors surgery have started demanding I stop taking them as they are addictive. They said I should go to the local drug treatment centre for help. Well I reluctantly did and was told by a GP there that I should take one tablet every other night. I tried on 2 occasions but my heart just goes all crazy and acts weird if I don't take a zopiclone at night. It beats extra fast and seems all over the place making sleep all but impossible and greatly frightening me....and if I do manage to drop off to sleep within seconds I'm woken up by what feels like a thumping irratic heart beat.......I really can not cope with this!!!.....I go back to my local doctors surgery in a few days and I'm dreading it .......I know she won't prescribe any more and I'm panicking how the hell am I going to handle it ......it feels like I'm gonna die when I get the symptoms ....please some help or advice would be Good!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

7 years has been too long, I fear and withdrawal symptoms will appear.  Have you been advised to reduce dosages gradually e.g. breaking the 3.75 pill in half each night?
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear what u going through,

Am so so surprised that u have been allowed to take these for 7 years, I have suffered horribly with insomnia for many years and I have been prescribed zopliclone but I will only take when I am very desperate and the doctor doesn’t give me more than 7 days tablets.

You will have horriable Withdrawls but I suggest u stick with it and follow gp advice gradually go down and than give up. 

This medication really is no good especially if it’s been 7 years.

I wish u all the best and we here to support u through ur journey. 

You can do this don’t give up.

• Posted

Thank you. I broke the tablet in half and i could sleep last night (not the best sleep but at least the heart palpitations were bearable)

So yeah that's the way to go. Slowly cutting back

I just hope I can end up off them but with no distressing symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.