Unrealistic expectations

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having had a PKR almost 4 weeks ago I do think we are given unrealistic recovery information prior to the surgery. I was of the opinion that I would be off walking sticks 3-4 weeks after, with little pain etc, however I think it will be a while before I am at that stage. I am glad I found this site as it gives me real recovery stories which I can relate to. I am trying to stay positive and hope to eventually feel it was worth having the surgery.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yes they dont give you the full facts. they get a lot of money for performing these operations (needless in some cases!)

the surgeon I had kept harping on that I wouldn' t be able to drive for six weeks which gave me the impression I would be better in that time. what a cruel joke it all has been. i had the op Feb 2016 -walking is worse than ever and its wrecked my general health x

• Posted

One thing I don't like at all is the unrealistic expectations the TKR industry gives people.

One maker of replacement knee joint has a former pro tennis player telling us that they play tennis about 4-6 weeks after the surgery.

Another tells us that his patient returned to snow boarding in three weeks.

Then the local medical centers show us photos of happy men and women (usually 50+ years of age) on the top of Mt. Slipnslide just 6 month after their surgery. Another shows a women who might be in her early 50's doing yoga pretzel poses after three months on top of a high hill she has apparently just scaled.

What nonsense. I would like to take all these folks out back to the barn and give them a TRA (Total Reality Adjustment)!!!

• Posted

I gather this is in the USA. I haven't seen this sort of thing in the UK. However, I agree about unrealistic expectations. I was led to believe I'd be able to resume my normal life in 12 weeks. I had my right TKR in April. I started hiking and walking distances and I went to my Zumba class. What followed was an endless cycle of pain and stiffness. After weeks of taking it easy and not doing the activities I love with the resultant social isolation, I now have a good day now and again, but never a few consecutive good days. I am so disillusioned. I ended up back at the hospital for an unscheduled appointment. My surgeon told me I had been overdoing things and that it takes about a year to fully recover. I wish I had been told that before the operation. I now feel as if I will never get back into normal life.

• Posted

Yes, this is the USA.

Don't get me wrong the quality of the care, my surgeon's skills, the therapist, are all very high.

I had done my homework and knew that it would be a year before I was fully functional again, maybe even more. My problem is with the misleading talk that we hear and the lack of up-front information. It's rather sad when one person I read about who had her TKA three weeks ago is complaining that she is still in pain, still can't drive, and has to use a walker around her house.Her situation is normal, yet somehow she expected to be at the three month point at three weeks. The medical institutions need to be more up front with the length of time, the pain, the effort a successful recovery needs.

For what it is worth, the people I have talked to that had TKRs 2+ years ago are all very happy with the results. So, there is plenty of hope, just not for hiking the Alps in six weeks.

For what it is worth, I am at two months and still struggling with swelling, stiffness, flashes of pain for no reason I know of, and flexibility . But, I can walk downstairs with no sharp pain in my knee. That's progress.

• Posted

Gillian I am right with you - my partial was May 17th and at this very moment I am so down about the whole thing I can't even write about it in detail. But everything you have written is what is happening with me. Will update with more detail when I feel a little less despairing.

• Posted

exactly. I am 6 weeks post op now and have as many bad days as 3 weeks ago. I couldn't consider running, climbing or doing any physical activity atm. You feel you are doing well then wake up and something new is bothering you. I don't see that in any of their promotional stories.

• Posted

Yes, you are right. I'm two and a half years post op... it was a journey, but well worth it. It's transformed my life.

Nothing can really prepare someone...

I used to be on this forum a lot, obviously not now, but occasionally I pop my head in. It's very helpful to adjust and accept where you are and that everyone is different. I used my crutches and stick for at least three months... I was happy to do so as I didn't want to rush things and I wanted to make the time an investment... I am glad I was able to circumstance wise and though it requires a lot of patience, see it as something which cannot be rushed, because it just cannot!

I look back fondly now... I learnt a lot about myself, developed some strength of character, and though it was hard it was worth it.

Wishing you all the best with your recovery.

Accept help and be kind to yourself!

Best wishes, Jenny

• Posted

thank you. It's 7 weeks now since the op and I'm feeling better about it. some good days and the odd not so good one. you are right about being patient, although I do think the medical fraternity should be more realistic about timescales. I am glad I had the surgery as before it I had constant pain, at least now it is just the odd day I might feel a bit sore. This forum is great to hear different people's experiences, it certainly helps me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.