unrelenting joint pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I'm on Methotrexate injections 15.but my joints seem to be getting worse.There's no let up on the pain.I was away Easter and was poorly.I couldn't move,my joints were so bad I couldn't get up out a chair etc without help as not only my joints were seizing up, but my hands were so bad i couldnt push myself up.Also my right hand where my arthritis is worse with the nodules etc swelled up like a balloon,it was red hot and really painful.The swelling has gone but it's left me with little small lumps under skin and the pain in hand is awful.I've been so tired as well.This has got me to the point that I keep crying,and I'm not a crying person normally. I just feel so blah all the time

Sue

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Then you need to tell your rheumatologist. No drugs work perfectly for EVERYBODY and you usually start with methotrexate and then work through them. If mtx doesn't work for you - you need to try another. But the rheumy can't know that unless you tell them.

• Posted

I'm so sorry for you! Yes, tell your rheumy about it pronto and try a different drug. I was so hopeful of MTX working for me because it worked for so many others but it did nothing for me. It will cause severe fatigue. I use it now as a "booster" for Embrel and I am taking only 5 mg. I don't know if it's working or not because I keep hurting my back and that pain causes flares in itself, I guess from the stress of it all but when my back is healed I'm going to try and cut it down to one, then none. I think the less pills you have to pop the better off you are. Good luck

• Posted

hi

So sorry to hear about what is happening now.   You surely are not on the right medication at this point.  Contact your speciaiist as soon as possible.   Often more than one medication is needed or an increase in dosage of MTX

Don't know how long you have been on it or if dose has been increased recently

I asked my GP for a medication for depression and that has helped my mood.  

Dont suffer such awful pain, contact the doctor or nurse who manages your disease.    Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  Much support here and advice is helpful from others going thru what you are experiencing

• Posted

Hi I've been on it for about 6month now and I'm no better.I'm going to ask Rheumatologist to bring my appointment nearer if they can.Its the end of May.But I doubt they will.I definitely need some other medication to keep this under control.

Thanks

• Posted

Normally 12 weeks is long enough to see if a dmard is working. My methotrexate as increased twice between 3 and 6  months in. ( to 25 mg) then another med, sulfasalazine and later a third one. ( plus steroid to help while meds had time to work) In the end , still with the ongoing symptoms you describe I was put onto a biologic .

keep on at your rheumy as this needs seeing to.

hope you get some help soon

• Posted

Hello Guinivere, sorry to hear you're having a rubbish time at the minute. I think it was yesterday you first posted so hopefully things may have improved? If not, it will, honest! I agree with the others. Tell your rheumatologist asap. They can't help if they don't know. Your symptoms are obviously not controlled with your current meds. If nec get an emergency GP appointment. They may consider some steroids just to cover you in the short term. I hope you get a reasonable night. It's so horrible when this happens but it WILL improve. Try to keep your spirits up. Let us know how you get on. Best wishes, Carol

• Posted

Hi again

I do hope you had a little better weekend and that you are able today to change your doctor appt    That is not the maximum dose of MTX but don't know if you are having side effects etiher.  Often a second medication or 3rd needs to be added.  So i hope you can really get appt very soon to discuss all this with rheumatologist 

Gloria

• Posted

Hi I had to see GP today about my aches and my swollen hand He said I have aCellulitis which is a bad infection made worse by Methotrexate. He has given me Antibiotics and I have to go back in 48 hours to see him.if not cleared up by then, I have to be admitted to hospital as it can become quite serious .So I'm hoping Antibiotics start working.soon

• Posted

sorry to hear you have cellulitis and I hope that the antibiotics work very quickly and that you don't have to be hospitalized.   All these medications do scare me but we don't have much choice in the matter if we don't want joint deformity and progression of disease

Please keep us informed on how you are doing .  

• Posted

How are you getting on?
    • Posted

I have had to come off Methotrexate for a while as I have an infection and I'm on Antibiotics I had Cellulitis .I have finished Antibiotics yesterday,so hope to feel better soon.I've been feeling really under the weather so fatigued I think I was feeling worse because of the Antibiotics as I had so many side effects. I see my Rheumatologist in 3 weeks time so I'm hoping he got a solution,perhaps different tablets. Another depressing thing is my weight is going up I put on 3 stone after 3 years of Steriods now I cannot lose it.I eat healthy etc. But I cannot eat lots of fruit veg or salad as I've had Bowel Cancer and it's left me incontinent,and those foods make it worse.

x

• Posted

It's no wonder you've felt depressed and fatigued. I sometimes feel like I'm going round in circles  between the devil and the deep blue sea! Hopefully, your infection has gone? I had to stop methotrexate and Benepali due to lung fibrosis and also underlying chest infection. Whilst I won't be going back on methotrexate they don't want me to restart the benepali either for another 4 weeks till they're satisfied I'm infection free. Your experience of the weight gain is worrying because I'm also taking steroids whilst I can't take anything else. I  must make a big effort to ontrol what I'm eating. Maybe I'l go back to S.W. I do hope your Rheumy finds something to suit you and you're managing to stay positive. Let us know. Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.