Unsettled Stomach for 5 Months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I posted on here a while back but still have not gotten any answers from the doctor so I wanted to get some opinions. I've been suffering with upper abdominal pain since July definitely. I had some issues here and there prior, but it began consistently in July. I describe the pain in an upside-down T shape- it transcends down my esophagus behind my breast bone down to the upper abdomen and extends across the entirety of the front of my body. This pain includes severe nausea and heartburn. I have had an endocsopy, colonoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, celiac test, etc. and all I could definitively be told is that I have/had acute gastritis in my antrum (this was back in October). I have been on Nexium, Sucralfate, other random PPI's and antacids, both prescription and over the counter. The only things that provide any relief whatsoever are Zofran and Reglan, both of which only reduce the pain and nausea to a dull existence. I do believe anxiety plays a role in these symptoms but at the same time they exacerbate each other- I am fearful of recurrent episodes of crippling pain so I become anxious, but I sometimes am so anxious it gets worse. Naturally my regular gastro practice recently closed, so I made an appointment with a new practice to get a second opinion and continue my care. I'm not sure what questions to ask at this point, aside from the possibility of it being a motility issue. Any advice on what this could be or what to ask would be great!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like gastritis, especially since you have been given a definitive diagnosis of gastritis which is made worse by anxiety. This condition can be acute and heal up after a period of time or be chronic and ongoing. Since you have had all the tests which have shown up negative, I would accept that gastritis is your diagnosis.

• Posted

Hi Toni , do a 24 to 42 hour fast , giving you stomach time to heal , drinking water only .. Then start off again with bland diet of leafy green veggies .. Try this for a few days , see if it helps .. If not speak to your doctor again about your issues

• Posted

Hi Toni

Hope you are feeling a lot better especially with Xmas coming up.

I had hiatus hernia and reflux Gord and had operation as could not be controlled by drug's.

Stress dose make the whole situation worse . No harm in getting a second option which will make you feel better. I was told to eat little and often as helps with the stomach acid . I know really hard but try not to get too stressed out about it all as dose make it worse know from personal experience. try avoid fatty foods to spicy foods some people cant tolerate milk cheese any more . try doing a food dairy of what you eating when and what effects if ant how feel can help find your triggers which might help you control it a bit or be able to relate back to your medical team. Try stay positive you know you body and if you are not happy don't let them just bluff you off with medication . there loads differed medication and you have to find the ones that work for you ask you medical team about CBT as this might help you to deal with stress side of things. Good luck hope you get better soon don't give up and try not to stress out about it all ..

• Posted

hey all, thanks for the advice. to give more context- based on my previous testing, it isnt any form of hernia, gallstones, obstruction, it isnt my kidneys or pancreas or liver. aside from gastritis in that portion of my gut, my results have been unremarkable. so do i just eat light? its honestly such a struggle because even bland foods upset my stomach and medications arent providing relief

• Posted

Hi all, hopping back on here to say that the symptoms are persistent. It's so bad its both sent me home from work and keeping me home from work. I've had bouts of dry heaving from the discomfort and nausea, literally nothing is helping. I feel this pain constantly- occasionally I'll have periods of somewhat normalcy but it always returns to the pain and nausea. Despite having already had an ultrasound, my second opinion recommended a CT scan and a motility test as well as bloodwork. Does any of this sound like IBS or an IBD? I have/had gastritis with no known cause- is it exclusively gastritis that hasn't healed? Any recommendations are appreciated, because I'm slowly losing hope as this pain is becoming crippling and detrimental to my daily living.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.