Unstable knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 6 weeks post op and my knee has given way 4 times and I am now reluctant to let go of my husbands arm when out walking! Anyone else experienced this? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have I walked about one and half miles today using one crutch, my knee gave way  at least 6 times?? I see consultant next week so will ask why. Did you have your knee cap replaced? I am 5 weeks 6 days 9 half hours post op ( not that I am counting)
    • Posted

Strangely, I don't know whether I had my knee cap replaced as I haven't had the opportunity to discuss the op in detail with consultant.  I'm going to see him tomorrow and will find out then. Have you had yours replaced? I'm still in phase of regret but have been told this is normal, lol. 
    • Posted

Hi yes I had my knee cap replaced. Consultant told me after operation, my own was really bad, I am having good few days and can see the light at the end of the tunnel ( I think) take care
  • Posted

Hi MrsT I havent had that thank goodness but ive been reading loads of the bloggs and it does seema ccommon thing so keep ur chin up im sure people with the same problem will reply x
    • Posted

Thank you Andrea.  It's reassuring to know others have similar problems.  The thing is that it's done now so there's no going back.  So, grit teeth and onward and upward x 
  • Posted

Hi Mrst123, I am 3 weeks post op and have had no difficulty with my knee giving way. Of course I worry about that happening and have not been on a long walk yet. I'm working on strengthening and stability in physical therapy in hopes of building up the surrounding muscles and ligaments etc. To prevent this. Have you discussed this with your doctor or physical therapist?? I'm no doctor but it sounds like the knee is unstable. Good luck and please be careful! Use your cane.
    • Posted

Hi, thank you.  I am seeing my consultant tomorrow and will discuss it with him.  Without appearing to be too negative, I'm trying very hard to build up quads but leg raises are soooo painful.  Would you recommend any other type of exercise to strengthen muscles?  I'll get there......
    • Posted

hi sweet Mary, my knee gives out, but it gave out a lot before op. I did a lot of walking 12 miles was normal. I also did 3 sessions Aqua, lots of swimming and all pre op exercises to ensure my muscles were ready. For op! So not sure what I would have been like if I hadn't done all this. 

I had the op because of all the pain,and the bone on bone,  I lived on pain relief just to live! I do not regret the op Yet. 

• Posted

The supporting muscles, ligaments and tendons are not toned properly and you are learning to walk properly again. Slow down, stride out with a purpose. Heel, then ball of the foot, then bend knee. When you start trying to get from point A to Point B in a hurry the hyperextension will happen frequently. I'm on a 50% weight bearing with max. 40 degree bend with an immobilizer holding me in place (knee has been completely removed because of staph) and using a walker. My knee pops back and forth like a worn out rubber band
    • Posted

Hi Mrst123, in therapy I am doing strengthening exercises. These include leg raises, lying on side and doing leg raises, standing on just my operated leg for 30 seconds at a time, stationary bike 10 mins, leg presses on the weight bench, and lunges. My quad muscles are on fire afterward so I know it is working. I use IcyHot on the sore muscles which helps a lot. Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Luckily for me my knee seems to be behaving touch wood.

It seems this isn't out of the ordinary Asante others in the forum have mentioned it so please do not worry and mention it to your doctor physio surgeon, anyone who will listen.

I now in week 9 and beginning to feel the love for my surgeon and his team but not there yet

• Posted

Hi Mrs T - I'm 12 weeks on and overall think everything is going really well BUT every now and the my knee seems to do a double think and doesn't know whether it wants to go forward or back, or both at once!! Have felt was going to fall over! On reflection think this is when I have done a lot of physical work/activity so think its probably to do with tired muscles not properly supporting the knee. So am taking care - do the same and hang on to your husband! As strength increases and confidence grows, it'll be like a physio said to me about using crutches "one day you' all simply think, I don't need these anymore" this was said to me at 2weeks and I thought what? No way!!!!! But haven't used a crutch or stick now for 3 weeks! When you're in it you can't see the end of it but it does come! X
  • Posted

Hello yes this has happened to me and I fell and injured my hip. I am 4 months post op with new kneecap. My knee seemed to do a double take and I fell backwards. I am paranoid now. I am trying to break it down and really concentrate on my walking, trying not to lock my knee. I feel like a toddler learning to walk. I am doing exercises in the pool and gym too. Really hope this settles down as I need to get back to work.
  • Posted

Mine has not given way, but it does seem to be something that happens. I certainly experience that rocking back and forth sensation as though it can't decide which way to go. I think this is why, especially outside on more uneven surfaces, it is important to keep using a crutch or stick to give you extra stability and enable you to focus on walking slowly and properly. All those ligaments, tendons and muscles need a lot of time to get toned up and correctly positioned to support the new knee.  It may feel like a backwards step but perhaps consider letting go of your husband and taking your crutches for the walk instead! I am sure it will all come in time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.