Unsteady/off balance feeling.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am really struggling with my anxiety and agoraphobia at the moment but trying hard to keep up with going out in the hope that exposure to the fear will eventually reduce it again.

Anyway when I am out I frequently feel unsteady on my feet to the point where I have to lean on something or hold onto my husband's arm, usually this tends to happen in the supermarket, my anxiety hates them.

However this morning I had an attack of it that was very sudden and very intense, I had gotten out of the car and was standing on the pavement waiting for my husband to get his wallet.

Suddenly I felt an incredible surge of unsteadiness, I actually screamed out to my husband, I felt as if I was weak all over, going to fall down and had absolutely no balance at all, I couldn't move until my husband was by my side and I could hold onto his arm.

On the way there I had been feeling nervous and had butterflies in my tummy and chest, I knew to expect some symptoms but that was just horrifying and a panic level that was impossible to get a hold on.

I am used to feeling moderately unsteady but not that intense, we went into the supermarket and I felt horrid but managed it then I went to the kiosk to get some ciggarettes and it happened again although this time more briefly because it kicked in just as I was getting my change so I was able to move away and hold hubbys arm until we got back to the car.

Now because I am trying to use CBT techniques that I have been taught along the way I took a break, went for a cold drink then returned to the supermarket, it didn't happen that time, I had slight unsteadiness but nothing like the first time.

My question really is why does anxiety cause such awful and sudden unsteadiness and is there any way to cope with it and reduce it?

I have been seen by a doctor and assured that it's not physical, I know that anyway because last time I went through a very hard time I had unsteadiness but not the sudden, intense panic attack inducing horror that I had this morning, it's bad enough being anxious allof the time but when you can't stand still and have tohang onto your husband's arm for security it makes you feel like a child, I just do not know how to cope with this anymore.

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, for once I can say I know how you feel! I also suffer anxiety and agoraphobia I get depressed because of it, I have been trying to go out at night and sit in the communal garden,

Although this doesn't clear my anxiety or agoraphobia it is helping me a lot , I think the unsteadiness is because you are afraid of not having someone there to catch you if you fall!

I get the feeling a lot,due to other physical problems I use a stick or crutches ,but still feel unsteady unless I have someone with me who knows my problems! Hopefully with time and support you as well as myself will get better! Good luck

I hope you get better soon!!

• Posted

Hi, i'm sorry you suffer from this too, it is incredibly difficult to deal with and it doesn't help that it is all just so exhausting so we have the anxiety to make us feel unsteady and then sheer exhaustion to make it even worse.

I so hope that you are able to overcome it, it does take a lot of time, energy and hard work to get to the stage where you feel any progress, I did feel some for a while but then relapsed but it does show that it is possible and we will get there in the end x

• Posted

I always imagined that the unsteadiness/balance disorder, only happened to me! I thought I was nuts, lol. It's comforting to know I am not alone though sad others suffer too.

I think delboy has found a great solace sitting in the gardens. Being close to nature is very therapeutic

And just think, Bella, when you're out there wobbling, somewhere in the world I'm out there too, wobbling!

• Posted

Hi Helen and Bella and all.  Had to chuckle at your comment of "out there wobbling".  I too suffer with this off balance nd unsteadiness feeling. It truly is one of the more distressing symptoms of anxiety I think.  My worst time seems to be when I start to prepare a meal. I start off reasonably ok but as time goes by I get more and more "shaky". It then puts me off thinking about the next mealtime !!!! We will all wobble together for sure !!!!! hugs

• Posted

I was always knocking things over, Lol. My kids grew up to the sound of bangs and crashes....I never dared pick up anything breakable off a shop shelf either! Still daren't...and piddle...heavens above, when we set off on holiday, you know how you one to kids " Go to the toilet before you get in the car? "  Well in our house it was the kids who would demand wearily, " Mum, have you been to the loo?" redface And yes, it's still like that to this day

Visiting the Dentist? Two bathroom visits required beforehand

Supermarket? Doctor's? Hospital? Optician? Local shop? I tell you I need Pampers!

Wobble, wobble smile

• Posted

Have you ever had vestubular rehab? Anyone with heightened fear levels (panic attacks)  feel dizzy, off-kilter, imbalanced, and are very sensitive to motion stimuli, such as crowded environments or heavy traffic,  thats how it opens the door to agoraphobia its like massive sensory overload because your body is in over survivor mode taking in everything on alert. You can attempt to calm some of the stimulus. Personal. If when you are in a heightened state which of your senses are the most  heightened. I know i have eustatian tube issue actually and eye issues but the eye issues would be diminissed sensory. Anyway mines sound so i use earplugs. Many are sight try using sunglasses. Sounds silly but try it. It will lower the sensory input  a notch. Ones that block perioheral vision too. Also,Try only focusing on the person you are with or if needed the ground at times. I have had bouts with this but usually when my ailments act up but thru the ailments i have learned it is in fact sensory overload kind of thing so maybe it applies to someone who is healthy because we all have the same body parts. Lighting has been prooven so id say wear sunglasses. Thats take it down a notch. Then focus. Dont look around everywhere..focus that will take it down anither notch. Maybe those two notches are eniugh to push thru the anxiety. Maybe.  For hearing earplugs, wear calming music, wear real ear olugs to lower the noise level use both  methods. Just tricks to try. That heightened state causes a lot of more intense sensory reactions and since that cant be shut down as doctors havent cured this.  I'm thinking lowering the sensory issues is like a back door to help this. I have zero clue if this is scientific but makes a lot of sense to me. Worth a shot.  The dizzyness coincides with heightened anxiety its how it just works. Lowering stimulus should help that.

• Posted

Wow! THANK YOU Lisa. Actually it all makes sense to me anyway. I have often wondered how people live in cities and towns. It would drive me mad. I like peace and quiet. I hated parties when I was growing up...all that loud music and loud voices, still do hate them in fact.

Sensorary overload. It sounds absolutely right concerning how I feel and what happens to me in non peaceful environments.

No wonder I've spent a great deal of my life curled up with book! No noise, no outside interference, lost in a story smile And being a writer? That's solitary isn't it? And when I think, the first time I had to meet my editor I wasn't excited as my family thought I would be. I just saw it as a necessary evil, lol

I tell you I'm odd, really odd.

• Posted

Hey if Emily Dickinson  was alive im sure shes be in this chat too. Actually she was a bit odd but intriguing. You are not odd at all. 
    • Posted

NONE of us are odd, except possibly me...........

All of you have faced this with dignity and bravery and I am positive that your remarks on sensory overload are right on the button.

Keep supporting each other! You don't need people who don't understand interfering - but I except myself, because I'm totally in your end of the field.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.