Unsure

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been suffering with swollen nodes in my neck for the past 6 months or so. I have had an US scan which showed I may have thyroiditis, awaiting further results. A year ago I gave unprotected oral to a girl, I noticed some blood and we stopped. Could it possibly be an std that is causing these swollen nodes? What std would survive there this long? I know the girl personally and she has never mentioned any std to me since then. I have gotten a bit worried now about the nodes as they have become slightly bigger than pea sized. They are cervical nodes I think. 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You need tonsee your doctor. It could be viral infection or bacteria infection. And you should get tested for an std panel. So you could know exactly what it is.
    • Posted

It is suspected as chronic, would this hint at more bacterial or viral?
  • Posted

An STI seems unlikely but both chlamydia and gonorrhoea can live in the throat for a long time causing few symptoms.   I would suggest you get your throat swabbed at your local sexual health clinic, if only to put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Thanks, I will do. I just hope the thyroiditis hasn’t been already caused as a result of this. 
  • Posted

Hi, just a quick update here, recently had blood tests and throat swab which came back negative for everything including HIV. Very happy. Still trying to figure out why my nodes are still swollen. The doctor did tell me that warts were the only thing not tested for. Do you think it is possible that I picked up a strain of oral HPV and my nodes have been swollen in response since then?

Thanks 

• Posted

I was going to suggest checking for oral HPV, which is possible and can be transmitted to men via oral sex. Men are 4x as likely to be infected when compared to women. I believe the virus tends to hang around in the throat area post infection - if your body does not clear it.  Have you been to an ENT doctor yet? They can look down your throat to see if you have any lesions with a small camera.

• Posted

...also, there is no blood test for HPV and most swabs are looking for bacteria strains (if they are not looking for the HPV virus specifically). Are you self diagnosing the lymph node swelling or has your doctor confirmed this as well? 
  • Posted

I have had the nodes confirmed by ultrasound, both cervical chains are swollen, reactive nodes with fatty hilum. They are measuring around 1.4cm in size. I have had two neck ultrasounds, would any sign of lesions show up on these?
    • Posted

And thanks for responding 
    • Posted

... I don't think so, but any mass or tumor in the neck would likely show up, which would by my primary concern. For oral HPV the signs to watch for would be a consistent sore throat, sores or ulcers in the throat area or tonsils that do not heal, etc. These are certainly signs to look for. I was just intending to point out that it is possible to catch oral HPV this way - which you also brought up. 

The nodes are important and function as filters, trapping viruses, bacteria and other causes of illnesses before they can infect your body. So swollen nodes would not be common for an extended period of time. Have you tried warm compresses on them as well (sometimes it helps)?

On a separate note, and perhaps this helps you - I was thinking about testing myself for Oral HPV with my dentist through a spit test. Apparently they can test for it and other bacteria now. 

• Posted

Hi again Steven and thanks for your response. I didn’t realise that there is a test for oral HPV. Good to know. I have heard that the body is usually able to clear the infection fairly well. Can nodes stay this size even after clearing an infection? Also maybe HPV is connected to my thyroiditis. I have always had problems with my sinuses but doubt that sinusitis could keep nodes swollen for this long. Surely it is a good sign that they don’t appear to be getting any larger. 

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.