Unsure about having a plate put in my Fractured wrist

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Fractured my wrist 3 days ago, it's my left wrist, I am right handed, after initial X Ray, was told it would need a gentle pull before the cast was put on, that done, (it hurt like hell, went nuts on Gas and Air!) I had another X Ray and the end result was being told I need a Plate putting in, I was told by the Doc who pulled it, that it wasn't that bad, wasn't impacted and confirmed just a gentle pull was needed, but this was an A&E Doc. I really do not want an Operation, I am 60 years old, have bad Asthma, Diabetic and overweight, having been to I will have to General Anesthetic , with my health and have nearly died twice in the past, this is a major concern. Also I am afraid of infection as any cuts nearly always end in infections. I also have grave doubts about the Plate, I have Carpel Tunnel; Syndrome and a friend who has gone through the same op with Carpel Tunnel found that the Plate caused more nerve damage, the wrist was fused and she ended up having it taken out. Am I wise to put it off and see if just having a Cast will heal the Fracture in time, is there a time frame to have the Plate put in. My finger are fine, amazingly the swelling has gone down in 2 days, I can wiggle & bend them, they are pink, def better than at first as I was concerned about them. I see the Orthopedic Doc tomorrow, but the feedback seems to be to have it done for a quick fix, but it wont be if it goes wrong. Sorry this is long winded but my head is in a spin and a little voice in my head says don't go ahead and I feel if are unsure about something you shouldn't rush.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Sue,

    I think you are right on.  Surgery is always a risk especially with the conditions that you already have.  I would have thought, though that they would do the surgery without general anasthetic and use a local anasthetic due to your health condition. 

    If it's only been 3 days, I would give it some more time.  It may heal up OK.  Even if there is some loss of movement, as long as there is no pain or major disability, I would leave it alone (especially since it is your left).   It sounds like it is healing up nicely already.  If i were you, I would see the Ortho tomorrow and tell him everything you wrote in your post.  Tell him all of your concerns and ask his advice.  Ask him if he would advise his mother to have the surgery if she were in your circumstances.  It is always up to you to decide in the end and sometimes a little time decides for you.

    Report
    • Posted

      Hi, Thank you so much, it's nice to have an outside opinion which is also the same as my Husband, others I have spoke to think I am a wuss & should just go for it.I will see what happens tomorrow but I think my mind is made up to wait & see. I am getting an old bird and as well as health issues I have had a personal problem in my life for two years due to my Daughter falling put with us and are fighting for Contact with our Granddaughte in Court next week, I feel so out of control, this injury is something I hae to be in charge off, of course this means I dont have mt Daughter for support, I have spent all day in tears, maybe I am a 60 year old wuss!
      Report
    • Posted

      Hi saw Consultant yesterday I was told that the outcome of Surgery would be the same as leaving it to heal, already having Arthrities in my Wrists that's not a major concern but my other Health issues are and he he thinks my decision to not to have is the right one. So new full cast for 6 weeks, hopefully have it removed 4 days before I go on much needed Hols, checkup next weeh tho' make sure Bone hasn't moved, what a relief, started with Cystitis though!
      Report
  • Posted

    Sue, 

    i broke both my ulna and radius and both were comminuted intra articular displaced fractures, all thanks to a hit and run drunk driver!!! In a&e they pulled it back into place and did a pretty good job, the consultants words at the fracture clinic the week after. That being said, we then went on to discuss wether my wrist should be operated on and what the risks and possible complications could be. I asked the doctor as the expert what he would advise me to do, he said the position of the bones were acceptable and we should see how it goes. On returning weekly to the fracture clinic my wrist was x ray and it explained that a little more pulling would help this to improve the positioning of the fragments of bones, my wrist was in 12 peices. I had to have it pulled and reset a total of 5 times all of which very traumatic but I avoided surgery and am now 3 months on and recovering well. My wrist is very stiff and I am having physio privately ever week which is helping get it moving. I don't really know what is the best option for you but the nurse that helped with the gas and air each time I was put through the horrible ordeal said I was doing the right thing and to avoid operating at all costs. It was my right wrist that was broken and my writing dominant hand but like I said I can now type this message, do the dishes, paint my lounge as I've been doing this week, dress my self, do most things. Yes it aches but paracetamol sorts that. I hope you able to make rather desicion that is right for you and I'm sure whatever it is the outcome will be fine.

    elaine

    Report
    • Posted

      Gosh you have been throuhj the wars, on the face of it if the A&E was right it mine didn't sound too complicated, something was said about a fragment of bone, but no one seemed overly concerned. I have chatted to my Hubby again tonight and have decided not to have surgery. I will opt for more manipulation if the Consultant thinks it neccessary. I am worried I might be pressured tomorrow but I will stick to my guns, I will have my Hubby with me, & I do feel better for making a decision.
      Report
    • Posted

      Hi saw Consultant yesterday, and was told Surgery would be the same outcome as leavingit to heal, having Arthrities already thats not a major concern anyway, but my other health issues are and he agrees with me to just carry on and let it heal, the Bone looks fairlyt back in line after pulling, so new full Cast on now for 6 weeks, hopefully removed 4 days before I go away on Hols, checkup next week though to check Bone is still in same place, what a massive relief, trouble is I have started with Cystities! Thank you for your support.

      Sue

      Report
  • Posted

    Sue, did u ever get the wrist surgery? I broke mine and they said the

    bone slipped and I need surgery, just waiting to see a specialist. The cast has been off 2 weeks and it feels fine, I am using it no problem so not

    sure. I am 67 and no not want surgery.

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up