unsure about taking time off work

Posted , 7 users are following.

I saw a psychiatrist last week and have been diagnosed with depression and anticipatory anxiety. I have suffered anxiety and depression a few times . I'm 60 years old  and have  worked part time as a teacher for the past 17 years . I am employed as a casual worker during term time so I dont have a contract. It was clear the psychiatrist wanted me to give up work. I feel physically ill at the thoughts of going in. The psychiatrist wants me to change the antidepresant ive been on for 20 years and I'm scared witless of how Im going to feel in the changeover. Ive tried reducing in the past and have become really ill. I'm due in work at 9 0'clock tomorrow and feel imobilised with fear. The thought of having to stand in front of a class full of people ( I teach adults) just makes me want to run like hell. Everything feels overwhelming

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I guess you need to follow their advice,thats why you went to see them. Maybe time to look for a new job which will suit better. In the meantime,its the same job you've been doing,and you've been fine. Psychiatrist should also refer you to Psychotherapy which will probably work better than meds

• Posted

Hi,  you have been a teacher for 17 years and probably great at it. You are very used to public speaking.

Your fear is just a feeling it is not real. Of course your feelings are real but it they don't have to come true. This is hard for me to explain. But when you are paralyzed with this fear.. stop realize it is just how you are feeling and that in the past you have been very comfortable in front of a class and it has gone fine.

• Posted

Is the medicine your taking helping you you didn't say what you were taking or how much.

• Posted

I used to be a Part Time Youth Leader, qualified a long while ago and I also was a Community Worker for the School i was working at for the Night Classes, adults. 

My knowledge was of Youths and would instruct on Road Safety as well.

When I was dealing with adults i was very worried working or dealing in class works and my Supervisour would say that I should imagine them all with no clothes on, it was supposed to be a great leveller, not politically correct now I suppose, that period was in the early seventees.

I do not know if that will help, something may come of it especially if you want to continue with your Lecturing 

BOB

• Posted

Hi

i am a 68 yr old female who has had depression 4 x in my life! I was on Lexapro for 10 yrs which worked fantastic but then stopped! My GP increased my dose to 20 mil in hopes it would work! Been 9 weeks since Istarted that and still suffer daily! At times my symptoms seem to overwhelming to deal with but I trench on trying to beat this demon! I believe  we can overcome our feeling of fear as my therapist says they are not real only feelings? Hang in there 

• Posted

Hi Impycelyn - sorry to read of your trouble. I would suggest if you have been on the meds for twenty years and still suffer from the anticipatory anxiety and depression that the drug is not working properly or that your system has built up an immunity. A change of meds would be a place to start. Also, the doc might be right that you need a break - just enough to get on top of the situation and become accustomed to the new med. With 17 years experience, the job would be second nature to you and you will be able to return to it bright as a button. Like others here have said the fear is a private thought and your pupils would not think it of you. Borderiever has voiced a technique I was taught when learning to speak effectively in public - imagine the audience is naked. Laugh, by all means, but don't point when you do. Best of luck to you - you'll get through this.

• Posted

Just remember how strong you have been all along! Your mind is trying to trick you into being scared dont let it !! You have got this you know this teaching thing! They (adults) know you can do it Go for It !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.