Unsure as to what is causing vitamin B12 deficiency in my daughter?

Posted , 11 users are following.

About 18 months ago, my teenage daughter (now 16) suddenly became tired constantly. She had no energy, was sleeping much more and was generally down and unwell. On top of this she had crops of mouth ulcers that would appear about 10 at a time, she was going through a rough stage. The doctors were puzzled but ran blood tests and the outcome; very low levels of vitamin b12. My daughter is not a vegan and eats healthily, a diet fortified with vitamin b12 food groups. She had a level of about 80 pg/mL. This meant nothing to me, I was aware it was low, but I was unsure how low. She was started on vitamin b12 oral supplements and no repeat blood tests were scheduled. I assumed the vitamins were working and would quickly fix the problem. They didn't, and ever since then she has had to endure very painful mouth ulcers among other symptoms. The doctor repeated bloods 3 months later and the results came back the same, around 80 pg/mL however tests for pernicious anaemia came back negative. Folate levels were all normal. He suggested to stay on the tablets and eat a diet with more vitamin b12 and see whether this would improve it. We followed this and it was still to no avail, we assumed it was something she'd just have to manage. 3 weeks ago is when I noticed she had gone very downhill, she was very pale, lethargic and just generally looked unwell. She had huge, very painful mouth ulcers and was hardly eating, she had ulcers right next to her tonsils. The doctor ran urgent blood tests and the b12 came back very low at 59 pg/mL. He agreed that this was extremely low and also ran tests for ceiliac disease and ferritin. Both were normal. He's established that her body isn't absorbing b12 but he wants to find an underlying cause for it, she seems to be a mystery. Chrone's was suggested as she was admitted to hospital for very painful stomach cramps and problems with bowel movements earlier in the year. I just want to see it sorted for her, she has important exams ahead and I hate seeing her so run down as she's otherwise a healthy teenager. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your daughter should absolutely be receiving B12 injections and it’s unbelievable that your Doctor has allowed her to go so low without prescribing this.  Oral B12 is no use if there is an absorption issue.  Please demand he start injections right away.  In other European countries and Japan when levels fall below 450 patients are treated, so you can see how low she is.  It is only a matter of time before she tips over to anaemia and this could be opening her up to all sorts of immune issues.  

She must continue to have blood tests at regular intervals possibly for life.  Read up about it as it can impact all areas of health including fertilaty later on.  Make sure her iron has been checked too.  I presume he has checked for Folic anemia?

Good luck.

Deb

• Posted

Old discussion, but did you ever figure out what was going on?  I have a 16 year old daughter with nearly identical symptoms.  Would love to hear what you discovered.
  • Posted

Still working on her issues, but aside from PCOS, they've found nothing out of the ordinary. I did put her on the B12 sublingual and some natural anxiety remedy and she seems quite a bit better.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.  Strange that they weren't able to figure anything out.  Like your daughter, my daughter has almost no B12, along with stomach issues, fatigue, etc.  Gastric tests came back negative.  It's a mystery.  I have recently started her on over-the-counter B12, too, so hopefully that helps.  But, it certainly would be great to know what causes the low B12!

• Posted

I have the same story as all of you. I am 19. I am hypothyroid though this does not show up in my blood results and hasn't for the 8 years I've been ill. I have no official diagnosis or treatment because doctors will not believe me. Hypothyroidism reduces HCL in the stomach which makes your Stomach a breeding ground for SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) which damages your small intestine similar to celiac damage. This is what causes the malabsorption. B12, ferritin, vit D deficiencies are extremely common in untreated hypothyroid state. 

You need to find FT4 and FT3 (thyroid hormone). You need them to be in the top 2/3rds of the range. Any lower isn't good enough. TSH isn't useful.

Obviously rule out celiac/crohn's/major food intolerance.

http://www.thyroiduk.org

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com

https://raypeatforum.com/community/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malabsorption

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.