Unsure if depression has made me fall out of love

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've struggled with depression for a long time, and despite the pandemic I've been doing really well, but now it's suddenly decided to rear its ugly head and it's consuming everything. I'm tired all the time and finding no joy in anything in life, and just wondering what the point of everything is.

The main issue here is I'm scared that I've fallen out of love with my boyfriend , but I don't know if that's true or if it's just a result of my depression. He isn't a bad guy, he's very kind and supportive and loving, and before this depression really kicked in I loved spending time with him. But this last week I've just felt so empty and indifferent towards him, I hardly want to be around him and hearing him compliment me and give me affection just makes me feel miserable. Whenever I think of just leaving or ending our relationship I feel nothing, no sadness and no joy, we've been together for almost two and a half years and this is the first time I've ever felt like this, but it's not the first time my depression has been quite bad. I feel a bit like my life is falling apart and I don't know if I'm still in this because I love him or just because I don't want anything else to fall apart, or whether I'm just driving myself crazy with obsessing over how I may or may not feel as a result of my depression.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

depression affects every aspect of a persons life. It’s difficult to be in a relationship with depression because you can’t give to somebody else when you can’t even help yourself. There’s not enough energy for a relationship. depression causes one to lose interest in just about everything., lose motivation as well as joy. thats because you arent feeling well.

right now you need to focus on getting better. Focus on yourself so that you can enjoy your life. Speak with a therapist who can help you. You may or may not need medication.take one day at a time.

• Posted

Obviously not everything works for everyone, but the main things that helped me were learning to question and reconstruct my harmful thought patterns and learning about mindfulness. It took a lot of time and help from my therapist and closest friends, but I was gradually able to change how I thought and how I thought about my thoughts. It's obviously very personal and takes a lot of self exploration, but once you have a better idea of why you think the way you do you can start to heal those patterns. Sorry, I hope that's at least a little helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.