Unsure if gallstones or muscular please help :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

A few days a go i was laying in bed one night and got a pinching sort of burning feeling on my right side just above my hip bone (supposedly where my kidneys are) and since then it turned into an ache on my side and now it's travelled up to my right shoulder blade. It's a constant sort of ache, it -feels- like a pulled muscle but i don't think the pain for those can travel? I'm a bit concerned because i remember seeing people post about shoulder blade pain ending up to be gallstones and having to have their gallbladder removed. sad I thought it might be because i'm taking 40mg of Omeprazole and peptac liquid for a suspected stomach ulcer that might have caused it because it came out of nowhere.

My GP ended up taking a urine sample because initially when i went the pain was still on my right side and hadn't really moved and she said "If this comes back clear i'd be happy to say it's muscular". It's just the "If" part that gets me :  Is Gallstone pain incredibly bad? Would i know if i had them? I'm using all my CBT techniques to stop myself spiralling, but it's getting a little bit difficult.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Imagine being in labour for four days without respite between contractions. That's what mine felt like, so I think you'd know. This happened several times even when I ate low fat diet. I also had a few minor attacks that lasted about four hours. Additionally you get a horrible full feeling that feels like your stomach is about to explode. Also nausea, sickness, headache and diarrhoea. Not everyone gets the pain in the right shoulder: I didn't at first - became more of an ache and not like the pain I felt centrally and to the right of centre.

I'd ask the doctor to refer you to a gastroenterologist. Whether it's an ulcer or gallbladder issue can then be tested for and dealt with. The sooner you get referred, the quicker it will get resolved.

• Posted

Wow that's a super helpful answer thank you, I ended up going to A&E this morning because it hurt alot, i did a bunch of stretches and found an incredible ache, hoping it's muscular still but will see if i need further tests.

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  You should know that a urine test won't reveal whether or not you have gallbladder problems.  Your doctor could be testing you for a urinary tract infection or a kidney infection.  This is done by testing your urine and taking a culture to grow the bacteria, to see if you have an overgrowth of any sort.  

Please try to take it easy until you're informed about the test results.

Best of luck1

• Posted

Hi jay these were my some of my symptoms for gb I ended having pains in my right arm too. This is typical for the gb. I had mine removed on the 8th June and have not looked back. Still taking it easy as to be expected. If this continues try not to leave it too long as I did to sort out. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.