Unsure if I have TN

Posted , 6 users are following.

In June I experienced a sharp pain while g brushing my teeth. I went to the dentist and they said my tooth was cracked and did a ro I think canal. No more pain....until this March. Went back to dentist and she said it's infected put me antibiotic (didn't work) and then had me go back to the Endodontics that did the root canal. The Endodontics took off the crown added meds and gave me another antibiotic which helped, but after the last dose the pain flared again. I went to the dentist and had the tooth pulled hoping for relief. No relief the extraction and after the antibiotic was gone, the pain flared again. My pain is throbbing in the tooth. but often accompanied with a sharp burning sensation that starts light and becomes intense. It stops me in my tracks. My jaw lip and tongue tingle. Does this sound similar to TN and I'm wondering is this why I have been on 2 antibiotics and nothing has worked. I am in constant pain. I can barely talk for long periods.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Fee,

Find a Neurologist and request a MRI with contrast. Do not settle for anything less!

I hope this helps.

Greg

• Posted

You can keep going around in circles as I did, but the only way to be fairly sure it isTN is to  have a MRI and a MRA on the side of your face where pain is occuring !!!!! If it shows an artery or blood vessel pressing on the trigeminal nerve then you will know you have TN and a nuerologist should help you figure out what to do next.Good Luck!!!
  • Posted

I have to say that your symptoms sound identical to mine. Initially my pain was concentrated around one of my lower molars to the point where I begged my dentist for a root canal. I felt like I was wired up to the National Grid electricity board! Finally I was sent to a neurologist who diagnosed TN. I'm waiting for my MRI in a couple of weeks.

• Posted

I have recently had toothache flaring up in a tooth which I know has a crack in it. However it is also sensitive to hot and cold which I was told was more of a gum issue. I was given antibiotics but since then the pain has returned and each time the whole left side of my face and head hurts- I can't bear to lightly touch any part of the left side, and my under-jaw gland also feels painful. The pain has reached the point of not really going away and over-the-counter codeine medication has only partially helped. It seems a bit hit-and-miss! My pain tends to be throbbing which increases in intensity, although I do sometimes get short crackling or stabbing pains as well. The dentist is referring me to the dental hospital because of the neuralgia, as he seems reluctant to just pull the tooth, or cap it. For some reason I have found that swirling cool water around the tooth does take away the pain for a few minutes (up to 5 at most) but it's not aiding sleep when I have to do it at that frequency! I can' t bear pressure to the back, lower-left part of my skull either, so I have found trying to sleep propped up on a pillow helps a little but not much. The left side of my tongue also feels like it's contorting or cramping when I get this pain - sometimes I feel like moving my jaw open/shut or rotating my lower jaw does sometimes ease things a little but not always. The pain can be triggered by eating, drinking, cold air and vibrations to my face. So in conclusion, I am wondering if I do have TN rather than a dental issue, but puzzled why swirling cool water around my mouth would help dampen pain? Has anyone else noticed this affect? Many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.