Unsure if I should get a biopsy or not

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there! I am a 19 year old female, up until 5 months ago I had never had any vaginal problems, and have always been able to have pain free sex. But 5 months ago after I had sex, my vaginal opening felt like it had kind of split a bit, and since then every time I try to have sex, it seems to happen, as I don’t think the area heals properly. Along with this, I had a very raw, chafed feeling vulva and it was extremely uncomfortable to even wear underwear. That feeling has gotten a lot better, but my vaginal opening and sort of on my labia minora, it just feels very sore to the touch most of the time and can look quite red, altho at some times of the day it is less inflamed. I’ve seen countless doctors and gynecologists and they all do not think that I have lichen sclerosus or lichen planus, except for one general practitioner. And since this one doctor told me he suspected it, I have been so paranoid. All of the other doctors I’ve seen say that it is just a persistent case of contact dermatitis that should resolve itself. I’ve tried steroid creams, vaseline, hydrocortisone, I’ve switched my toilet paper and laundry detergent and everything is a lot better, but my vaginal opening and sometimes my whole vulva still feels inflamed.... I am trying to be patient but I am still so scared that I have Lichen planus or lichen sclerosus. My Gyno says that it is highly, highly unlikely that I have either, however he thinks that I should have the biopsy to give myself some peace of mind, as my anxiety has gone through the roof since all of this has started. Should I get the biopsy even though I’ve had many doctors tell me I don’t have those things? Or should I get it, because all of those doctors could be wrong and I might just not have all of the typical symptoms?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Stet a biopsy for a clear diagnosis and treatment. You'll be glad you did? 

• Posted

Definitely have the biopsy- you need to know for sure if you have it. If not, good news and go down another path. If you do then you can start dealing with it properly. Either way good luck x
  • Posted

Hi there yes you should go and have it done or you will never know if you have L. S I was very worried about going some how l plucked up the currage it did not take long I would say no more then a hour

also it was not pain full at all so you go it's worth it hugs Val 82862

• Posted

Thank you! I think I am going to just go do it. Every doctor I’ve spoken to thinks it’s unlikely that I have it, but they haven’t given me any other ideas as to what else could be going on so... how long did the biopsy site take to heal for you?? I am very scared of scarring and the whole healing process taking forever sad(
    • Posted

Hi Puppylover- If you are not too bad off right now, as it sounds like you are, the biopsy itself will not hurt very much, a few pricks where they put the anesthesia needle in, then a little snip with hole punch. When the anesthetic wears off you will hv some pain ( tak Tylenol) and an ice pack between your legs and a warm bath with baking soda will help it feel better. Will sting to go pee until that area is healed, so cover with a moisture barrier cream or vaseline after each pee. 

I was in a full- blown flare and they took 6 samples and it was hell on earth for 10 days ( like peeing burning gasoline) until they started to heal.  All 6 samples came back LS, so please DO have the biopsy for your own peace of mind and to start proper treatment. 

• Posted

Mine was very quick to heal only a few days no pain or stining so please have it done.Just for your peace of mind.
  • Posted

OMG first off i’m 19 too. and i legit screenshotted what you posted bc it’s exacrlt my life right now. i am so happy i’m not the only one. i never had any issues with my vagina ever. now every time i have sex i split. And even when the split heals it’s still painful inside!!! My whole vulva burns and is dry and i totally understand what your dealing with. I got tested for every Std (even herpes) all negative. My next move is definitely a biopsy. what has worked for me so far is Organic coconut oil (to keep things moist) and A&D ointment on the tears. Seriously i know what you going through. we will figure this out !!!

• Posted

also my gyno said the exact same thing to me, that it’s very unlikley that i would have Ls and that she doesn’t see any signs of it. i’m paranoid too. between all the doctors appointments and now maybe a biopsy in my future my anxiety has been through the roof.
  • Posted

I am so glad you have decided to get the biopsy. I have had 4 biopsy’s since diagnosis and it does sting to get the needle but for me I had no other pain or stinging after . Please keep us updated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.