Unsure of what to do or who to tell

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.

I really don't know how to tell anyone about the pain I've started experiancing and I would really appreciate some advice.

I'm only 20 (21 next month) so I'm quite hopeful that it's not cancer, but I looked my symptoms up online and I'm really scared now. Everything from the sore back I've had for the past five days really seems to point in that direction. My breasts are really sore. I thought it was just pms at first, even though it was a couple of weeks early, but last night the pain got much worse and today it really hurts. It feels nothing like pms now that I've actually started paying attention to the pain. Instead of just a sensitive nipple that hurts when touched, my nipple is the only part that doesn't hurt. There's a sharp pain in my left breast beside my armpit that shoots into the center of the breast and both breasts are generally achey. I can't think of anything in my routine that could be causing this pain as I've been taking it easy with my sore back. I can't feel a lump, but from what I've read both my age and large cupsize would mean a tumour would have to be quite big before I could detect it.

All the advice says to seek help as early as possible, but I don't know how. I don't know how to contact my doctor; I still live with my parents and they still consider me a child (I have a bed time) so they haven't really gotten round to telling me how to do things like that. I don't know how to tell my Mum about it. Even thinking about it makes me cry. I know it could be something else, and I could be getting choked up over nothing, but I'm really scared. I know I need to get examined (no matter what it is, it really hurts and I want it to stop hurting) but I just don't know how.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to get the courage up to inform your mum what you are. feeling, and get her to get you to the doctors. I am not a medical person and would not like to have a guess at what your symptoms indicate, but try not to jump to the wrong answers. Need to be seen. You will cause a lot of stress to yourself by putting things off. Not everything is cancerrelated.
  • Posted

Hi, Sorry you are going through this and we all jump to the worst conclusion when we think something is wrong with us and more often than not it`s not always bad news.

I think you should tell your Mum and then she can make an appointment for you plus she will be good support for you.  Once you make this first step you will actually feel relieved that you habe believe me.  Not to do anything is not the answer so please tell your Mum and she will get you the help you need.

Best wishes,

Marion

• Posted

Have you had chance to tell your mum yet?
    • Posted

I have to ask, when you say you "can`t do it" is it because by telling it will then lead you to seeing a doctor and that scares you?  Or can you not tell your Mum because you do not want to upset her.  If that is the case is there a friend that you can confide in?

Once you have made the first step you will be on the right track to getting the help you may need. 

• Posted

Well your next option is to ring the doctors yourself. I know your scared but until you do something about your situation you have no answers. Your a young adult so you can do this. There are a number of conditions non are related to cancer. I take it you know your doctor, so you can go to the surgery or phone them up. Another option is a&e. Then there's the Macmillan help line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.