Unsure on what's wrong?

Posted , 3 users are following.

At the start of the year I got dizzy and it shot my heart rate up to 190. It took hours to go down even though medics made sure I was relaxed. I remember being extremely thirsty and having diherea. Pretty much all bloods and a 27h ecg was done after my hospital appointment and all om.

On and off I'd get moments where it'd happen again, I'd feel faint and dizzy and need the loo, but then it'd go.

The past two months though it won't go away and I'm losing a lot of weight. They've run full blood count, liver, kidneys, thyroid, celiacs, and crohns tests. All OK. I'm an emotional wreck if I'm honest, and fearing something really bad. I did wonder if it was an adrenal disorder, as at the start of the year I loved salt, more than my partner who enjoys it. I've greatly cut my salt down the last few months to almost none added. I feel a tad better when I drink electrolyte drinks which have salt and sugar in too.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but the top of my gums are a very dark red, my hands are stupidly tanned whereas before the summer tan would be gone right now.

I have sinus style headaches and a low grade fever too.

Could it be an adrenal thing going on?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It very well could be your adrenal glands are not properly working. One of the ways tell is to get some tests done on your adrenal glands check your cortisol levels and potassium levels and sodium levels. When I first got diagnosed with Addison's disease one of the things I did get was bruises on my lips and gums in the dark tan and weight loss. One of the biggest things was the fatigue and sore muscles. I can only talk to you about an experience I already had in the doctors really are not sure how to treat that addisons disease because it is rare. I ended up going to the ER and the house doctor is the one that diagnose me then I went to endocrinologist and he diagnosed me as well. Talk to your endocrinologist and ask him for extra test if you feel like you need it. You have to be the advocate for yourself.

• Posted

Salt craving, especially if accompanied by drinking and urinating *a lot* (>3 litres/day) could be a pituitary problem which is what drives your adrenals and other things. But it is a very rare condition so rather unlikely. Has your cortisol been checked?

• Posted

Hello,

They are checking it in Monday with a blood test. Plus an abdominal ultrasound scan is being booked.

The doctor thinks it may be post viral infection syndrome though, so I guess it may end up being that once these tests come back.

I just would like an answer =/

• Posted

Hi nessajay a year ago I started with exactly the same episodes! I wish I could give you a solution but I am in the same boat as you. All my blood tests have come back fine. My cortisol came back in the 300s which is not low enough to class as Addisons but it or a low normal. I had an mri and it showed partially empty sella (squashed pituitary gland) and my ecg showed mild abnormalities. Despite this the doctors don't seem concerned and I very much feel like I've been fighting my way through quicksand trying to get answers. These episodes along with other symptoms have debilitated my life. From the beginning my instincts have suspected its due to an hormone issue as it got worse after coming off birth control. I know how awful it it having these symptoms and I wish you all the best in getting answers. If you do get answers please keep us updated.

• Posted

They're sending me for an emergency ultrasound next week. So scared.

Cortisol levels apparently OK. Just don't know what to think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.