Unsure whether anxiety or heart problem?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all. Posted this in the anxiety forum first, but this might be a better place for it.

33 year old male here, a little bit overweight, but pretty fit. Suffering from seasonal allergies and migraines. And now chest pain.

About a month ago I was carted off to the ER because I thought I was dying. Heart racing, trouble breathing, and a strong feeling of "omg i'm gonna die". This only lasted a couple of minutes. By the time the ambulance arrived, I was mostly fine, if shaken.

They took me to the ER anyway, did an ECG, took a chest xray and then a doctor came in for a chat. I explained what had happened, and that I had had a bit of chest pain for a while now. She asked whether it felt (and I quote) "like an elephant was sitting on my chest". When I told her no, she sent me home saying that it was "probably a panic attack".

Unfortunately the chest pain has pretty much persisted since then. It seems to come and go, though I can't really figure what causes it. It doesn't seem to match the whole heart attack or angina thing, considering it lasts for hours and has been going on for over a month. It's mostly in the general area of my left nipple. Exercise doesn't seem to affect it, I've been running and swimming as usual. It's not a really bad pain, but it's annoying nevertheless.

I'm seeing my GP next week to discuss this, but it's driving me up the walls. It's all I can think about. I never thought of myself of a very anxious person before, but I have been having a bit of a stressful time at work. And if I'm being honest, I've been a bit lonely as well. But I don't see how either of those situations would explain this weird, nearly constant chest pain without any obvious anxious feelings.

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried some antacids, for acid stomach, probably make you belch, but if its wind trapped on your stomach it will help, other than that, some warm milk, and sip slowly, gives me huge relief without the antacids, but I have them on hand if I need them.

?Also gastritis, or angry stomach lining, keep to a bland diet for a few weeks, nothing tooo greasy, fatty, no garlic, only well cooked onions, no cinnamon, or anything too spicy to be honest, all of these precautions work for me, and I have chronic gastritis of long standing, but with careful monitoring I know what upsets me and what doesn't.

?For me beef also a nightmare say after 2pm in the afternoon, dinner is usually a chicken dish, or fish, dad had the same as he also got older, but I think was always a little sensitive to beef later in the day.

• Posted

Hi lap sorry to hear about your symptoms....i am dealing with chest heaviness and heart escape beats from last 7  years now i am 31----well before i can not sleep at night if i off the light i feel scared of death--i have visited plenty of doctors----in which gastro doc,physcian,medical speclalist,cardio,,,,,,no on help me have done plenty of test complete body blood tests----more then 20 times ecgs in which one time my cardiologist find heart pause then they do for me 24 hour heart monitoring holter ecgs which result come back 98.75%....in which he mention that some time my heart beat become slow like there is small gape but its not a pause he assure me that every person has slow or fast beats some times-------done echo 3 times also done ct angiography-----endoscopy--colonscopy------stool tests,urine test,ultrasounds nothing is wrong but the only thing is i am our weight----trying to loose weight but still can,t------now some time feel like heaviness in left chest like i m dieing but now i am saying ok lets come and let me die---kill me----but till now i am alive------feel scary some times with irregular beating of heart but still alive nothing wrong with u may b the doc didnot understand what u r going through-----just pray thats it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.