Unsure whether to stop taking Lansoprazole

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there. I've been taking lansoprazole 15mg every day for around 2 years. I'm 24 years old.

They completely stop my heartburn /reflux. I've never been properly diagnosed as having GERD but I suspect that's what I have.

I've been worrying about taking lansoprazole long term so I started tapering off until stopping completely. Now I have heartburn usually after eating but I just take Rennie's every day to soothe it.

I'm worried this isn't good enough and I'm causing damage by not taking the PPIs. Is taking Rennie's everyday okay and will prevent me from any serious damage?

Or should I just go back to taking 15mg lansoprazole every two days as that was manageable ? I don't like the idea of taking them all the time as I can just manage the heartburn with antacids. But as I say im worried this is wrong and I should be taking PPIs indefinitely.

I also struggle with anxiety and I wonder if anxiety medication might help me for my heartburn symptoms .

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.