Untreated minor dislocated elbow for 15 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to check on treating a minor elbow dislocation, which happen when I was 15 years old and left untreated for half my life. I remembered the incident very clearly, that I landed on my left palm, and there was a slight rotation of my humerus towards the left.The only discomfort back then, was the mobility of my arm and pinched nerves. It healed up after about a month or less. 

In the last 15 years, I have never encountered any range of motion issues, or push/pull with/without weights. I have participated in high intensity sports with no problems other than disparity of arm strength - about 10% weaker considering i am a left hander.

There are no clicking of joints. It can be noticed from the back of my arm that the elbow joint is not quite in place. From the front, it looks exactly like how the injury happened and the bicep does not fully contract when flexed.

I am considering treatment around the end of the year. I need some opinions on whether such treatment is advisable after 15 years. What is the average healing time? Hope to get some advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Of course you should seek treatment, the sooner the better. I had a injury to my R elbow at age 10, and it was not properly treated at the time, because they could not tell what was going on. They put it in a splint for six weeks. It healed improperly and out of alignment. Fast forward 50 years and the joint had rubbed itself away, was dislocating regularly, and I had it to have it replaced  18 months ago. I am still having problems with it. I was told by my doctor they should have done surgery on it when I was 10, but they didn't do much of that in the early 60's. So go get a couple of opinions from trusted doctors and decide from there your best nest step. We are only other persons who may have had a similar problem, but only a doctor examining can give you a medical opinion based on your particular case. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.