Untreated Spinal Stenosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis a couple years ago in which the doc said I needed an ACDF one-level fusion. I've been hestitating to have the done surgery done as it's a big procedure in which I'll need a break from my work etc. I recently went back to my doc and he said he wanted a new MRI to determine if more levels needed to be fused. Does spinal stenosis progress to the point where more levels of the spine are affected in which more extensive procedure is needed? Would like to hear about your stories if you waited etc or had it done right away.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have stenosis and had whiplash in 1997. In 2015 at age 51...I started getting worse despite all the years of physical therapy, massage, chiropractor treatments, physiatrists, injections that I tried. I had now been diagnosed with progressive myelopathy. Due to the compression on my spinal cord from multiple herniated discs that no one noticed from my MRI back in 2006. In Aug 2015 I had an ACDF C5-6 things got better for 3 months they they got worse than before my surgery. So in sept of 2016 almost 1 year to the date of my acdf, I had a cervical posterior laminectomy fusion with hardware at C3-6. I'm now 7 months post op and coming along slowly and hoping it keeps getting better.

• Posted

Hi Branden

Sorry to hear your issues, it's a horrible disease.

My damage was initially noticed in 2014 I was advised then I needed 3 discs operating on but the other 4 below were just as bad so the surgeon was concerned a domino affect may occur, I was sent for nerve tests just to make sure my pins n needles feeling in my fingers weren't from carpal tunnel. I want back for my results and it was a different surgeon who said he's seen worse and discharged me.

Roll onto April 16 and chronic pain in my upper to mid back 2impringed shoulders and a new MRI showing bilateral foramenial stenosis. Mine has certainly got worse and the pain unfortunately which is not under control especially my ribs.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with c/s at c4567 and signed the consent forms there and then. My operation was cancelled 3 times in about 14 months.

Went for my annual check up only to be told that due to latest mri result I would need multiple fusion and that would weaken the cervical vertebrae so the neurosurgeon has closed his books on me, he literally had closed his book in front of me. Didn't see that coming.

Mike.

• Posted

I've had ACDF from c4/c7 in 2015 I had spinal cord compression and i did try non surgical methods in the form of physio therapy and acupuncture but that wouldn't relieve the cord compression and seeing my symptoms were getting worse the only way to remove the compression was by having surgery I had my discs removed and also the bone spurs that were causing the pain radiculopathy my advice is that if you do have cord compression don't leave it to late that your symptoms become permanent for more information in Myelopathy then have a look at Myelopathy.org wishing you all the best

• Posted

I'm going to guess you are younger than I was when I needed a total fusion. I can tell you from experience, you will benefit to have it fixed now verses waiting. Age has such a bearing on how well one does. I wish I had done it 20 yrs. prior to when I did. I too had a demanding job,(self employed hairdresser) and even a second job, but those clients and your general friends don't think about you and what's best for you. It will sloly progress into other vertabrae and will take longer for you to bounce back. Ask family to commit to heping out and get you pain taking care of. Please keep me posted and I'll help you with encouragement, prayers, and any info that might benefit you simply because I waited too long, and I'm paying a big price, even today.  Blessings to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.