Unusual flare

Posted , 7 users are following.

Unusual flare worked quite hard yesterday, woke in early morning hours, with a terrible pain in left arm and hand. The pain was something like when you have a body part that has frozen and is thawing. Waited a little while tried a heat pad, no help. Then when and took my Pred plus extra 2 mg. Started to feel better in about an hour, almost normal in 2 hours. My left was swollen, still is a little, but almost normal. Has anyone else had this experience? Thinking positive and still smiling.🙂

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

So sorry Michdonn that you have been in so much pain, you are always so positive, hope you manage to get some relief from your painful arm and hand so you are able to reduce  Pred. As you say keep smiling 😊 and keep positive. 

• Posted

Please ask your doctor to check you for cardiac stuff - just in case!!!!!
    • Posted

I will do that EileenH, anything in particular? Feeling good just returned from a hike up in the mountains. Beautiful up there the Aspens leaves are golden. Thanks for your wisdom. 🙂

• Posted

"worked quite hard yesterday"... why? you should know better. I am also guilty of the same sin. Just when we feel really good, we take projects that were too difficult for us before and manage to hurt our self.  However your symptoms are not just sore muscles, so I am a bit puzzled .One thing that is unusual is swelling, and "frozen" feeling, so listen to Eileen, just to be on a safe side.  Good luck.  And take it easy, you don't wont to miss ski season.

• Posted

Oh nick you are so right, I do not want to miss this ski season. I have been feeling so good, my wife and I were doing a project together and wanted to finish. I over did it and paid for it. But felt fine once the Pred kicked in. I will notify the doctor. Thanks keep smiling and thinking positive. 🙂

• Posted

"Worked quite hard" Hmmm...I have been there many times. It is either boom or bust with me. I had Fibromyalgia for 18 years before the onset of PMR. I could only be sensible for so long. I am so much better off  physically if I pace myself, but mentally I always hit a wall and then get out and work too hard and have to suffer the pain. I have been in this cycle for 20 + years now. It is odd, but more often than not it is always my left arm that goes into excruciating pain. I did have the tests for heart etc and all was well and I am still here many years later. I found other ways of dealing with these 'meltdowns', so I have continued these helpful routines after the onset of PMR also,  before I resort to more pred. If I do physical work, I have a half hour bath. I do stretches. Heat bag if really painful spots appear .I have an American made massage ball to relieve painful muscles. Then if all this fails I take painkillers. Since the onset of PMR, sometimes all these things fail me. I am usually so mentally satisfied with my 'hard work' that I am willing to suffer for a few days. BUT go to the DR.confused and make sure that there is no major cause for your arm problems. Reassure yourself. 

• Posted

It is crazy Flutterie57, how we over do it. Just want to do a little more to get it done and over do it, my am guilty. But felt okay after the extra Pred kicked in. Felt fine after a good walk in the mountains and fine today. Good luck on your journey, yesterday was just a little bump in the road on mine. Staying positive with a smile on my face. 🙂

• Posted

Enjoy those Aspens, they look wonderful.
    • Posted

Hi Flutterbie, the Aspens are beautiful, just said to my wife how lucky we are have lived in such beautiful places, the ocean in RI, now the mountains of New Mexico.

No wonder I have a smile on my face. :-)

• Posted

I picked the area where I can have both... I live about 20 min from pacific coast and it takes me about 15 minutes to first hills ( only 1000-1500ft).  This is where I do my mountain biking 2x a week. 

Real mountains are about 2hrs drive, but on a clear day I can see mountain Fuji, although it is 100miles away. It is just so high it stands out even from far away. Majestic.

• Posted

Sounds nice Nick, how is the weather? The SW weather in the mountains is delightful, the weather on the coast in the North East, was cold and damp. My wife always say walking around the corner of the house facing the ocean was the coldest place on the planet. I gave away all my winter clothes.

Think positive for a great ski season! 🙂

• Posted

This area has sub-tropical climate. Now it is raining season and temps are in 60-80 F. During the winter it is dry and sunny and we are so far south that it does not snow more then once or twice a season, but it melts in hours. I can bike or walk year around. Summers are hot. June has lots of rain, which makes it cooler, but the rest of the summer is hot and humid.
    • Posted

Interesting nick, northern NM is referred to as the high desert, summer normal highs in the 80s may hit low 90s, rainy season July and August, monsoon rains. Winter can get cold, but the sun is so warm, you can be skiing up on the mountain and playing tennis, golfing or biking in town or on the mess. Last year, skiing, was the first time I did not bike 12 months in a year. If it snows, wait a day and the snow will have disappeared on the sunny side of the street. I think my wife and I are the only seniors living in the county that have no connection to the National Lab. Her father worked there when she was a child. Keep thinking positive. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.