Unusual hair growth, moods - and HRT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I started HRT mid February this year together with AD's mid January as things just gotten way out of control. - I am better but still not good sad The physical full blown panic symptoms have pretty much disappeared yet the mental is still there. I also still wake up about 3x during the night, without a particular reason (no hot flashes) but then get tired around 11ish again. Moods still up and down or just plain flat....as in no motivation. Still some brain fog, like mixing up days and not thinking clearly etc.Amongst other things.

So, I also started to have peach fuzz on my face the last few months to a year, yeay! Plus what was an occassional black hair around my right nipple has become a more regular pattern and on both breasts. I just pluck them out. - HRT has not helped that either so far.

I just wonder if A: is HRT helping with that hair issue (lucky I'm blonde yet still (ah never mind my skin is pretty yucky too)? And I also wonder if by now i should have better results from the HRT than what I have?

I am taking Femoston 2/10 tablets.

I read though that:

1. Skinnier ppl tend to store estrogen less good. (I'm 48 kg and 5.2" "tall") - I used to put on weight the last few years for unkown (well now I know) reasons, but lost it over December/ January this year with all the symptoms

2. I am 41 and in peri for quite a while, based on my FSH readings over the last 2 years and bloodtest that came as far down as Postmeno in all areas (although they jumped again)- apparently we need more too?

3. I am a smoker (yes I know smack me for it!) which works against estrogen anyway. sad (I WILL STOP, but I need to get a bit more level first)

Sooooo, perhaps my body is not getting enough estrogen??? and that would / could cause the hair stuff? And the moods...I wonder if you ladies have any experience with that? Also, if I be changing from pills to patches would I experience a worsening of the symptoms again? What are your experiences?

Thank you smile xoxoxo

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

..adding on, breasts? what breasts? They're nearly gone too sad I was hoping that with the HRT they fluff up a little again but nothing in that area either
  • Posted

To be honest Hun...its early days. HRT takes at least 3 months to take full effect....and sadly, as you've said.....being a smoker won't help..

As to the hair problem......when our bodies are no longer making oestrogen the pituitary gland sends out a follicle stimulant to try and stir our poor ovaries into action..but it reaches ALL follicles...which includes anywhere we grow hair !!!

You may eventually need a stronger dose to start....and then lower as you go on. And the big deal about patches is that it's only taken in through the skin to the localised area....so not being processed all over your body...

I took HRT in tablet form and then patches for 8 years...in my 60s now, weaned myself off when I felt the time was right....and am FINE truly.

But keep a diary of moods, symptoms and reactions to medications and preparations.......SO useful to show a Doctor, partner and anyone else who can't understand how you're feeling.

good luck with it all, and tell the doctors if you don't improve.💕

• Posted

Hi Mel, just wondering, when you changed from Pills to the patches, did you experience some reoccurance of the symptoms until you body got used to the patches? Or how does it usually work when changing HRT? I cant really go higher on the Pills as they where already 2 mg Estradiol... sad - but with patches I could start with the0.5 and they go up to 100 mcg
    • Posted

No Manuela,

i was on the same dose....just in the form of a patch.....they said it was better as only taken in through the skin.

But if you change the type of HRT ie, a different drug...then your symptoms can return....until your body gets used to it.

I was fine Hun.💕

• Posted

Dear Manuela

I suffer from brittle asthma (therefore on a number of drugs to deal with that) restless leg syndrome, underactive thryroid plus high cholestorol...I am 62.

I wanted to try HRT years ago but with the other drugs!? ... just too much medicine.

Still experience hot flushes and wonder if, and when, they are (on average) supposed to subside...ever hopeful...smile 

• Posted

I would stop those HRTs and talk to your doctor about other options if the HRTs are not working for you. 

Try a small dose of an antidepressant they help with menopause issues. Tsalk to your doctor thats why I do not trust HRTs 

• Posted

Ok Laides I thought I update; i've got another script for trandsermal HRT also which I haven't tried, it is a sequential and its 0.5  mcg estradiol (equal dose to 2 mg oral) and 140 mcg norethisterone. Wednesday I've had enough from the oral HRT which yes although probably not long enough with only 2 months, I felt was just too unpredicable and unstable for myself. I still gotten those weird thoughts (anxiety) and depression on it (and I take 25 mg paxil too). Also I split the doses in half (morning and evenings) after a few weeks as I figured if I take it all by night then by around lunch time I get my "hot flashes" and sensations again.

I do have an extremely fast metabolism, my body burns off everything in no time, on top of it, after having gained 5-6 kg over the last 2 years (obv. being estrogen dominant that time) I have lost all that again start of this year so back to my skinny me (48 kg, 1m63). I think that is all not helping either.

Anyhow Wendsday moring I decided thats it, I just chuck a patch on, which is, as I'm on week  3 a combined one. I did expect to either A: getting spotting or bleeds or B: getting some sort of withdrawal/sideeffects from not taking the oral anymore- but nope, nothing. I did feel slightly "high strung" as a bit tensed up (physically) by Wendsday Evening, that carried on Thursday but during the day I started to feel superb. Mental clear, no anxieties, no depression nothing, nada. Same Friday. My Partner came over and Friday morning he said "you look stunning"- and I: what???! - He said he could see it in my face and as a whole that I was feeling great. It was visible. Saturday, I did wake up with a headache, which carried on all day, I decided to change the patch Sat. NIght, so 3.5 days exactly. Besides the headache I was feeling ok, lots of energy I was on a roll lol! Saturday evening changed patch and yesterday no headache again. Still feeling fairly good, not quite as good as Thursday and Friday but still better.

Have not have an eyeache yet either. I used to get eyeaches (occ. migraines) a few years ago, they diminished thought last year, until I started the oral HRT and I got them back. One day on, next day off, next days on, then off again. Pretty unpredictable.

Either way, not sure if my feel good days are because of the patches, or wether my hormones gone up (being middle month (I do not ovaluate regulary anymore)) or just generally considence, however will continue the patches and see my GP on the 18th to rediscuss and go from there smile

• Posted

Hi Manuela,

give yourself time to let this all settle down, and discuss with professionals any interactions of drugs you are taking....have you had a thyroid test lately ? You may want to check that out? I'm not a doctor but your symptoms sound similar.

keep a diary Hun, symptoms/ feelings....really useful for doctors and partners.

Good luck💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.