Unusual lump in shingles area of torso

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had shingles for 2 months- better, but life altering.  About a month ago, I developed a fairly large lump a little higher than waist level- my palm fits the size.  It is hard to say if it is painful or not, but bothersome, along with back pain. I am an active 70 year old and it has taken it's toll on my life.  I am trying to do the normal things, but it is tiresome-have to rest often.  I am taking gabapentin along with an opioid if severe. Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had shingles back on February.  It was confined to my left hip area. Not a bad rash but I did have real bad pain and discomfort for the week leading up to the rash.  I did notice a enlargement/lump on my waist/stomach area which felt like a soft mass.  I went to the doctor three different times out of concern and because of where it was located my doctor felt it was nothing to be concerned about.  It was on the left side kind of mid abdominal area.  It would swell up/harden throughout the day then let up.  When I got up in the AM it was hardly noticeable however throughout the day it would enlarge and I could actually cup my fist over the darn thing.  Dr seems to believe it was the nerves that were affected by the shingles in that area and that's what the cause is.  Its July now I still have it but its not as bad however its not gone either.  I have no other pain or discomfort in this area.  Very strange but the doc said its residual nerve side effects from the shingles.  

• Posted

Thought you may want to know that after blood work, x rays, cat scan and an abdominal scan, that it looks like I have a hernia.  My lump sounds like yours, so perhaps you can go from there.  I have a consult with a surgeon next week to see my next step.
    • Posted

Glad you found out what it was, within the last month mine has actually disappeared, I no longer have the swelling, I'm happy the doctor was correct and then it was just the lymph nodes and nerves affected by the shingles.... I still check frequently so far all good. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Dear Laura,

I would visit your physician to have the mass evaluated. You can have an enlarged lymph node with shingles, but the location and size lead me to suspect another cause.

As it causes you discomfort, the mass should be evaluated. No health care professional can state with accuracy the cause of a mass without a biopsy.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thought I would let you know, after blood work  , x rays, cat scan, and abdominal scan, it looks like I have a hernia. I have a consulting appointment next week  with a surgeon to see if this an option.
  • Posted

I've been in contact with a researcher for PHN. I can't post links here but if you Google "recommendations for the management of Herpes Zoster Dworkin et al. you'll find an article from Clinical Infectious Diseases and

US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. Towards the end of the article, near the Facebook symbol, there's a link to the whole article. There's a photo in Figure 5 of someone's who's developed a bulge as the virus injured the muscles. That MAY be what's going on, but it's worth going to a doctor. He or she should be able to palpate (feel the area) and determine what's going on. They may order tests such as ultrasounds or CT's.  It could also be a hernia, due to previous tears in the muscle.

• Posted

Good article...Wish I understood it a little better (not being in the medical profession) but that sounds and looks like what I have experienced.  My doctor did not seem overly concerned and feels its the nerves thta were inpacted by the shingles.  I hope it eventually goes away, it has subsided a bit but not completely  (I had shingles in Feb) Thanks for recommending the article.  
    • Posted

I'm glad that it helped and that your doctor's that knowledgeable. Many are totally clueless. I worked as a medical secretary for 30 years so it's easier for me to sort this stuff out. I try hard not to cross boundaries and give medical advice. But when I read this post, right away I thought of that photo.

Until I saw that, I didn't know it could happen. But like Merry said, any type of lump or mass needs medical evaluation, I was just trying to suggest something that doctors may not be aware of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.