unusual observations on PVC ( Ectopics)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi .. I have PVC (Ectopics) with a burden anything up to 25%.... At their worst when I am missing one beat in four, I have noticed that if I hold my breath then the ectopics immediately stop and the heart beats normally ..The ectopics reappear as soon as I restart breathing. Has anybody experienced this phenomena or seen an explanation for it.... Also, looking at my ECG, I notice that the ectopic beat occurs in the normal sinus timing and is not premature (or ectopic) at all...it seems that the timing is correct but the ventricle is not firing in its correct mode and fails to respond to the next sinus pulse... it then waits for the next sinus pulse... has anyone had similar observations or explanations... 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Funny enough, I have the opposite, I can be having my normal evening 1 in 3 or 4, but if I hold my breath it becomes every other beat, (see me ECG below doing this).

When I had Ventricular Tachycardia, the ambulance crew got me to blow hard into a syringe, this did reduce the severity of my arrhythmia, its called the Valsalva Manoeuvre.Maybe you stopping breathing is doing something similar that effects the Vagus nerve.

• Posted

I’m not sure exactly what mine was doing just told ventricular ectopic beats , 9000 in 24 hours on Holter monitor , said anything over 5000 too many so on a beta blocker , small dose 2.5 it’s stopped them and I feel less anxious . But I’ve had heart surgery to repair mitral valve .  I have recommended before to people to see videos York Cardiogy  put out, very informative , on YouTube  
  • Posted

Never heard of this Roger. But I was wondering if you feel all the strange etopics? Maybe your heart is just regularly irregular..My father in law had that. Was not dangerous. You must have a home monitor to know all this. I don't dare get o n e I am obsessed already with my heart. I have a pacemaker and skips and one line afib. I don't need to do anymore thinking than I already do. Hope someone can help you. Take good care.

• Posted

Hi Mabel ... Thank you for your reply.. I think you're entitled to be obsessed about your heart... if it packs up then youre in a bit of trouble..I've had a 7 day holter check which showed a burden between 7% and 33% and I've examined carefully my ECG readout which show classic ventricular ectopics but NOT premature...Because of my personal life as an engineer, I'm intrigued to understand why this pump is not functioning properly...The symptoms I described are quite important because they eliminate a number of possible fault conditions which is why I put out the request for any similar observations.. I will let you know if I eventually understand the problem .very best regards 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.